Best OD for Stiletto Deuce

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best OD for a Stiletto

• BB Preamp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AC Booster

• OCD

• Total voters

srf399

Reaction score
I'm debating what to get for an OD Pedal.... I live out of range to really try these out side by side.

I'm looking for nice breakup on the clean channel and something to boost the Tite Gain a bit.

OCD
BB Preamp
AC Booster

I'm thinking the BB being a Marshall sounding style OD might just be more of the same with a Siletto. Timmons probably is using it more through his Lone Star than the Stiletto?

The AC is intriguing and might warm up the Stilleto better than the BB? Looking mainly for something to help me get more versatility. Your input would be appreciated

I'd go with the OD808 as well. Never even heard of any of the ones you listed. But with my Stiletto, I don't boost it at all.. I own a OD808 and it just doesn't improve the tone to my ears, not like it did with my old Rectifier where it went from a pretty crappy amp to an awesome one.

I have a TS808 reissue and it's awful. I can't stand the mid bump. Colors the tone drastically and will never set foot in my signal chain again. Thins it out and really bad.

I agree... I'm happy with my stiletto OD as it is... I'm just looking for a middle ground push mainly for the clean channel. Right now I'm dialing down my guitar volume for it.

AC sounds like what it is you're looking for. BB is very high gain, and I hear OCD is as well so may be bit over the top for Stiletto. I tried the RC, AC, and BB and found AC to be the best fit. RC is the least gain of the 3 but I had to max out the gain to give my clean channel that mid-ground gain you're speaking of (no headroom left). BB was too much. AC is just about right. I feel like I'm talking about 3 bears and porridge all of a sudden. And a lot of my decision was based on the fact I did not want to color my tone - just give it kick in the ***.

Anyway, I'm using Fat Clean for clean, hit it with my AC with gain only around 8:00-9:00 for that bit of a fat crunch (which is a nice warm sounding gain by the way), and then Tite Gain on the other channel. I hit my AC again on Tite Gain for solos too sometimes.

I used a ZVex Box of Rock with mine. Worked awesome. It is kind of the same thing that the Stiletto offers, but ya can't footswitch between modes (yet).

I had a Xotic AC Booster. That seemed to do quite a bit. Very usable OD.

Well right now I'm leaning toward the AC Booster and a Barber Tone Press. I have major GAS and am just stalling in case the next best pedal comes along LOL

srf399 said:
I have a TS808 reissue and it's awful. I can't stand the mid bump. Colors the tone drastically and will never set foot in my signal chain again. Thins it out and really bad.

Hmmm...I love mine, so go figure :shock:

I'm using a Power Screamer w/ Fat Boost from Homebrew Electronics. It puts most Tubescreamer clones to shame.

im not familiar with any of those pedals except the BB pre.

but i use an SD-1 with a hot cake and it suits me..

I have 2 overdrives on my pedal board and both work great with my Stiletto. One is an AC Booster and the other is an HBE Powerscreamer

I use a Xotic AC+ Plus with my Stiletto Ace and have been very happy with it. Also have the Fulltone FullDrive 2 Mosfet and though it's a great pedal it's not as versatile and a bit bright for the Stiletto.

Many people like the mid bump that some pedals give but I'm not one of them. Used to have a vintage Tube Screamer, tried to like it but in the end it sat in a drawer for years so I sold it. Had the OCD as well but for me it was too harsh.

Good thing there are a lot of different quality pedals out there because we've all got our own opinions and its fun to try different things. I'm sure someone will say my AC+ sucks. Doesn't bother me.

mjslaughter: I'm an AC+ fan too. I use the right side of the pedal to put a little crunch on Fat Clean. I really like that boost push button depressed on the right side of the pedal, really adds some girth to the Stiletto sound. l use the left side for solos with the extra compression button on. If my dealer was correct, he described one side as being an AC and the other as being a BB but says Xotic does not publish that. And of course you can run them together like having both pedals.

Don't mean to hijack the thread - just add some color to the AC comments.

Fact clarification on the AC+. I checked with a couple of dealers and looked at the AC+ demos, and it's actually a combination of RC and AC (RC being the left side of the pedal, AC the right side). You can run both sides together for even bigger gain too.

jab said:
Fact clarification on the AC+. I checked with a couple of dealers and looked at the AC+ demos, and it's actually a combination of RC and AC (RC being the left side of the pedal, AC the right side). You can run both sides together for even bigger gain too.

The AC plus is NOT a combo of the AC and RC. IT is different from an AC but it does not have an RC side.

CHeck out the demos on the Xotic website

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/ac_plus/

Latest posts

Back