Best Mesas for low volumes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
head and cab is easier to transport and you can also change cabs at any time and get different tones... not to mention the MIV combos are HEAVY!

Yup, probably play at home on a 1x12 and borrow something bigger if I play a show or something.

LnTh said:
art_n_music said:
JimAnsell said:
when i say low, i mean like normal speaking voice is louder.

Why bother with a Mesa if your going to play that low? Sorta like buying a Ferrari to drive around the block... :roll:
Worst logic ever.

Indeed. I'm astounded at the tone I get from mine at incredibly low, "family-friendly" volume. It increases the number of opportunities I get to play...nothing wrong with that 8)

Funny thing about Mark IV

- Still loud as f*ck on 15w setting
- Yet can give excellent low-volume tones even on full 85w setting

Hardtailed said:
Funny thing about Mark IV

- Still loud as f*ck on 15w setting
- Yet can give excellent low-volume tones even on full 85w setting
Well that's because watts have very little to do with volume. But yeah. Mark IV, like any other Mesa I've owned, sounds kick *** even in low volume.

dodger916 said:
LnTh said:
art_n_music said:
Why bother with a Mesa if your going to play that low? Sorta like buying a Ferrari to drive around the block... :roll:
Worst logic ever.

Indeed. I'm astounded at the tone I get from mine at incredibly low, "family-friendly" volume. It increases the number of opportunities I get to play...nothing wrong with that 8)

Just a joke, boys! I don't get to crank mine too often, but below speaking voice? Come on!! Let's R-O-C-K in the U-S-A !!! :shock:

I never play my Mark III unless I can get it past 2. I usually have it on 3, even when practicing (the beauty of soundproofing :D ). Once you get it past 2 it becomes just a completely different amp. So I don't recommend the Mark III for bedroom playing. :)

art_n_music said:
dodger916 said:
LnTh said:
Worst logic ever.

Just a joke, boys! I don't get to crank mine too often, but below speaking voice? Come on!! Let's R-O-C-K in the U-S-A !!! :shock:
Yeah I don't play it THAT low usually. But it still sounds pretty kick *** @ those levels too :D

I'll vouch for the Express 5:50 at low volume. Doesn't sound box-ey. Very full without having to get into gig levels. This is speaking of clean sounds only. Decent Crunch or Burn would be too loud for my apartment.

The cab I'm using may be what's causing my beef with the Roadster. I'm using the 3/4 back 2x12 cab. I got an EQ pedal to try in the loop to make up for cab deficiencies, but I haven't played live in a few months, and my Line 6 Spider III 30 sounded pretty **** good when I tried it at practice. For me its just invaluable to be able to play at any time as opposed to getting "the best tone possible." So I'll probably be selling my Roadster and moving away from tube amps in general. Luckily my Roadster is pretty new, in good shape, and they don't depreciate too much. Anyone interested in a used Roadster, PM me :)

I use a F-30 and couldn't be happier. It's high gain so it has quite a bit of hiss when the volume is turned up barely beyone minimum, but close to minium is all I normally need.

I just use the gain control, contour, both channels and my guitar volume to get the sound I want.

Very versatile. This amp also has a very decent reverb, so I can get clean, bluesy, and good overdrive at low levels and the only other pedals I want to get are delay and chorus. OD not needed.

Back