Best Mesa Low-Watt Amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Low-Watt Mesa

• DC

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Express

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • TA

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Mini Rec

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Other

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

JTFischer337

Reaction score
This is my first thread on this site so please be gentle.

So what do you think?

I personally thought the Express line was their best low-watt line to date (beating out my previous favorite, the F-30/50). But with the recent addition of the Mini Recto I think there might be a new champ.

No Lonestar Special? It goes down to 5 watts!!!!!

I think that the TA-15, TA-30, and Mini Recto are the lunchbox offerings from mesa and out of those I'd take the Mini Recto hands down. I haven't even played one yet, but I can tell from the clips that it is right up my alley. Mesa, when are you going to make a Mini - 'Dyne!!??

I've owned just about every Mesa amp, and I have to say their best low wattage amp is 100 watts, in the new RA100 -- with the powersoak feature getting down as low as 3 watts. It is by far, IMO their best sound at low wattage. The Mark V @ 10 watts is 2nd, again IMO.

Since a lot of Mesa's go down to such a low wattage you're going to get just about everyone on the board coming to you and saying their amp is the best. That being said, I REALLY like my Express. It has the sound I need. If you like the Express, get it. If you like the Recto sound, get the Mini. Etc etc...

Also, the TA amps sound REALLLLLLY GOOOOD. The Hi 1 mode on the TA-30 is a seriously sweet lead sound. Makes me a little jealous. Not to mention, custom TA-30 combos look quite nice.

I don't think the DC (presumably the 2) and the F (presumably the 30) qualify as "low wattage" - even though the DC-2 is actually less powerful than the Mini Recto... and so is the F-30 if you measure it properly ;). It's not just about the power output, it's about what they're intended to do - the DC-2 and the F-30 were both intended to do the exact opposite, basically to be as loud as possible in a small package.

The ones I would include that haven't been listed are the Marks in their Class A modes, the Lone Star Special, the Expresses, the Blue Angel (even though it goes up as far as 38W in Simul mode), and the Subway Blues - all these were intended to be pushed into power-stage overdrive at more moderate volume. Of those, my clear favourite by a large margin is the Blue Angel. Just tonight I was round at my friend's house who I sold mine to, and we played his new guitar through it. Mistake :).

I haven't played the TA or the Mini Recto yet.

Depends on what you want to do with it. :?

For me ( and aforementioned above), I agree that a Mark series down at 15watts is the cats nuts. But also, I use to own a Studio 22+ 15 years ago that was wicked. Thinking of getting my hands on another one of them

I gotta go with the TA-15 because it has no effects loop or reverb messing with what I feel is the best tone that Mesa has to offer for us low-gainers.

I like the sound that my 5:50 provides in its 5 watt mode, but when I think of low-watt Mesa amp, I think of a more portable EL-34 powered amp. I like the TA15 a lot and would really love to try a Studio .22+. Conceptually, this seems like the ultimate "grab and go" (amp in one hand, guitar in the other) Mesa amp.

Don said:
I like the TA15 a lot and would really love to try a Studio .22+. Conceptually, this seems like the ultimate "grab and go" (amp in one hand, guitar in the other) Mesa amp.

You should definitely try one out if you get along with EL84s. The Studio 22 is Mesa's best kept secret, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back