Best mesa cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would go with a recto traditional (is it named stiletto traditional now?), but it really depend on the genre you play. If you're not too into high-gain i would also go with a half-back

The Rectifier Straight Slant is my vote.

These two have EVM 12L in the bottom and MS12 in the top. Great fat and thick tone clean or heavy dirty.

DSCN1762.jpg

BWK[/img]

of the current production cabs, the stilletto traditional is best for a mark4 because of the tight lows it gives. the standard cab has very big woofy lows that complement a rectifier well.

Stilleto and Recto cabs are differents cabs, they differ only by their size. The 4x12 Stilleto is the ex- Traditional Recto.
The 4x12 Recto is only available in the Standard version now, which is bigger sized than the Stilleto one !
For having played my MarkIV Head through the 4x12 Traditional Recto (now called the Stilleto) i can say this cabs is the perfect match for the IV !

Boogiewan Kenobi-
:shock: I can't tell if I am green with envy or just sickened by that display of hardwood.... Ok, so I am a little jealous. :? Those cabinets are very pretty. I would almost consider them furniture. Maybe some day I will retire my amps into hardwood. For now, I think I will keep the tolex on mine. :wink: BTW, where did you get those huge Boogie logos from? Also which do you prefer standard mounting or SUS-4?

Living Justice-
I would say it depends upon the sound you are looking for. I like the sound of a Thiele with an EVM in it combined with some sort of Celestions in a 4x12 box. My current favorite combination includes my Marshall 1960ax (Greenbacks). The best match would be maybe one of the old Mark cabs with the EVMs in the bottom and the Celestions up top or just a Thiele with a traditional cab loaded with Celestions. For me the Thiele is hard not to use though at low volume levels I do like the Greenbacks. I don't really need the Recto cabs so I don't have one nor do I have much I can honestly say as far as true long term evaluation though I have demoed them and have a feeling for their characteristics. I think that your choice will certainly depend upon what type of sound you are looking for and what type of music you will be playing.

Russ,

Thanks - I think you are right, Greenpeace has declared them an environmental threat!!

I have custom Studio Slips for them and this keep them nice and clean.

The Boogie Logos were literally lying around at the factory. One was pinned to a wall and the other was lying on a bench. Mike B. was an angel and kindly allowed me to have them. They are the very last from the bathc that was used in the early 1980's. I think they have a very cool vibe to them.

For Combos, I really prefer the SUS-4. I really notice the differecne in cleaness of the sound - no tube rattle at A 440.

BWK

Boogiewan Kenobi said:
The Rectifier Straight Slant is my vote.

These two have EVM 12L in the bottom and MS12 in the top. Great fat and thick tone clean or heavy dirty.

DSCN1762.jpg

BWK[/img]

I had no idea they made hardwood 4x12s. Where would one procure such a thing of beauty if one were so inclined and what the going rate be if one were so lucky to find one?

Boogiewan, those are simply gorgeous!!! I especiallly like the Lonestar head, man that is truly awesome looking! Nice stuff!

MG,

Thanks - I really love them and they sound better than they look!

Scott - MESA does not make 4x12 hardwoods. These were a rare custom they did. Vintage Boogie would probably do one however as they bicuit joint wood together.

BWK

Latest posts

Back