Best extension cabinet for my Mk IIc+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echojorge

Reaction score
I'm new to the Boogie Board and have a simple question: I have a non-eq Simul Class Mk IIc+ with EV speaker and have been thinking about getting an extension cab. Which one to go for to best complement a great amp? It would be nice to stay true to the era of my 1984 amp, but willing to consider others for better sound. So which one should I be going for small to medium gig settings? Where is the best place to buy it? Thanks all.

The perfect companion to any Mark series combo is the EVM12L Thiele cabinet. It fits perfectly under the combo, and forms a kind of Mesa Mini-Stack. You can find them on Craigslist, eBay, or order one new from Mesa.

A Thiele cab is a great addition.

Some (including me) like to blend the EVM 12-L with another speaker, but it's a matter of taste. I prefer an Eminence MS-12 with my Mark IIs; these were the stock speakers for Mark IIs, with the 12-L being the upgrade. Being that most Thieles use an EVM design that was based around the operating parameters of the 12-L, I'd recommend putting a 12-L into the Thiele and a complimentary speaker in the other cab. I don't prefer the sound of the Thiele by itself, but it's a great add-on for the mini-stack.

By the way, board member GTS (George) makes beautiful unloaded Thiele cabinets. You could load in your 12-L and use another speaker in the other cab. George builds things to exacting standards. Many here (including me) will recommend him very highly. Here's a sample of his work: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=49001&p=353279#p353279

Don't discount a plain-vanilla open back 1x12 EVM12L cab. They sound great with 15+ years of wear on them :)

Great info, but looking through postings, allow me a few more questions: what defines 'road ready'? Benefits of open vs closed back in a cabinet? Is it the 'compact speaker cabinet' that is the same width as the Mk IIc+ combo cabinet? Thanks!

How about ported vs non-ported? I noticed on the Mesa website that the Thiele is closed back and ported. Thanks!

If you already have an open back combo, I would go with a thiele, stick your EV 200 watt in it and find something like an MC-90 for the combo. My mark really likes the halfback 2x12 and 4x12 that way you will get incredible clarity and range of tone. Pawnshop/vintage guitar shops, Ebay or search craigslist... jaxed.com is a great mashup of those two. my opinion...

scott

I have never played anything sounding better than the oversized recto standard vintage 30 4x12 cab.
The amp sounds H - U - G - E ! ! ! ! !

So, I got a compact Thiele cab with EVM 12L from Matt D. and sounds great! Thanks to all for the advice. Does anyone know where to get padded covers for these?

tony777 said:
I have never played anything sounding better than the oversized recto standard vintage 30 4x12 cab.

I can honestly say the same thing about the Warhead 4x12. Oversized with V30s! Only way to go if you ask me.

Facelift said:
tony777 said:

I can honestly say the same thing about the Warhead 4x12. Oversized with V30s! Only way to go if you ask me.

Do you guys with the V30 cabs hve to cut the 750Hz slider a good bit? I never thought the V30 with its mid spike was a good match for the Mark series with its prominent upper midrange voicing. Once you go EV, you never look back, unless it's a Marshall with greenbacks.

JOEY B. said:
Facelift said:
tony777 said:

Do you guys with the V30 cabs hve to cut the 750Hz slider a good bit? I never thought the V30 with its mid spike was a good match for the Mark series with its prominent upper midrange voicing. Once you go EV, you never look back, unless it's a Marshall with greenbacks.

Yes

It is true that the v30`s with a mark amp produce alot of midrange, proberly why i prefere my c+ running all US 6l6`s, that seem to work better with the v30`s and give a darker more hollow sound with less midrange.

But i also agree that the way my c+ just makes a 4x12 explode with huge crunching sound, is really somthing .

IMO

I had two oversize rectifier 4x12's when I got my C+. They sounded great, but the EV gave me much more of an honest tone of the guitar that was being played. I can make it sound HUGE by linking them together. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back