Best EL-84 amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old .50 calibers are EL 84. Just a louder version of the .22.
true, you can't go from pristine clean to full blown overdrive by stepping on the switch, but if you compromise on the gain, you can balance out the volumes.
Besides, EL84 amps sound so nice when they are just at the gritty point as sixveesix suggested.

Platypus said:
Check out the Dr Z Prescription ES.. I liked it a lot more than the Maz series.

Oh man, you guys are right my alley on this one.

I had a Prescription ES for about 6 months and I LOVED it!! Great cleans and a very nice mid rauchy breakup. I've got clips of it at the site in my signature.

I recently picked up a Dr. Z Stangray and about 2 weeks later I found my poor Prescription ES not getting any play time. I would have to say for pristine cleans and nice low-med breakup, the Stangray IS the be-all end-all el84 amp IMO. The only thing I miss is the nice breakup the Prescription had, very nice. I actually wound up trading my Prescription ES earlier this week for a Dr. Z Maz Sr. I was needing a portable combo that sounded a little different than the Ray, but still close enough that I could use it to cover the Ray tones too.... so the Maz Sr it was.

Since leaving Boogies, I've had a few el84 amps:
* Vox AC30cc
* TopHat King Royale
* Dr. Z prescription ES
* Dr. Z StangRay

The StangRay is my favorite amp so far.

Latest posts

Back