Best effects with Stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelrocker

Reaction score
I've been trying to decide on a new effects unit to run with my Stiletto Deuce thru the effects loop.A lot of people seem to like either the T.C.Electronics G Major or G Force or the Rocktron Xpression unit. Currently I have a PODXTLIVE that I seldom use.I prefer the sound with no effects than with the POD.The Stiletto has a series effects loop and I don't know which unit would work/sound better thru the Stiletto series loop or if there is any difference between the 3 units.None of the stores in my area have any of the TC Electrics G Major or G Force or Rocktron X pression units to try out.
Would be curious to know what other Stiletto owners are using for multiple effects.My primary interest is in flange,delay,reverb.
The Stiletto is my 1st Mesa Boogie and I love the sound.
The tone is amazing.It is changing the way I play.Cleaner playing is instantly rewarded with great sound and definition.I hear harmonics and tones I haven't heard in any of the other amps I've owned.
Would appreciate any info from Stiletto owners.
Thanks!

Personally I've found that the best way to go is to use high quality stompboxes that are true bypass. But that's what works for me.

I rely on my G-Major with my Stiletto Ace, primarily because I need a little reverb. Having the chorus and delay effects is helpful too. The trick to getting a good sound is to keep the channel volumes at fairly low levels, so you don't overload the effects.

On some of my effects settings, I also employ a dbx graphic eq.

You should go to a good music store and try out different pedals/rack units etc for yourself if you can. Digital effects are never going to sound the same as analog and vice versa. I'll definitely take a digital delay over an analog delay but for everything else it's analog all the way. After trying so much crap out over the years I've gotta say that true bypass is the way to go no matter what type of fx you are using.

Hey guys,
Thanks for responding!
Years ago I used stomp boxes but they were too noisy.
Then I went with a rack system with the Digitech GSP21 with a foot controller.I was always a big fan of Digitech effects.
My last amp was a Johnson JM 60 with built in Digitech effects and a foot controller allowing me to be able to turn on an off the delay,chorus,reverb.
Since buying the Stiletto I'm no longer interested in amp modeling.
cvansickle - Do you use a foot controller with your G-Major?
Do you run everything thru the effects loop in the back or straight thru the front? If you run thru the effects loop does it make any difference if its series or parallel?
Dopeman - I appreciate your advice as well.I've been looking at a lot of gear but most of it has all the amp models and distortion included and I just want 3 or 4 basic effects.The TC Electronics and Rocktron Xpression seem to be the best bets so far.The closest GC store is about 65 miles away and they haven't had either TC or ROCKTRON in stock whenever I've been there.It makes it hard to try one out,but I'll keep annoying them until they have something for me to try.
Did either of you guys go with the Hollywood mod?
I'm kind of baffled why someone would buy a Stiletto if they didn't like the way it sounded.There's so many different ways to change the sound of this amp that I'll never get bored.

Rebelrocker (and anybody else who's interested) - please click here to see how I run my effects.

The Stiletto's effects loop is series, which is what t.c. electronic recommends for the G-Major.

cvansickle said:
Rebelrocker (and anybody else who's interested) - please click here to see how I run my effects.

The Stiletto's effects loop is series, which is what t.c. electronic recommends for the G-Major.

Dayum dude that's a crazy setup! A little over the top for my tastes but it's really nice.

:wink:

Rebel - I did not go with the Hollywood mod. I'm interested in hearing it and the Stage II but I am not going to mod my amp because I think it sounds great the way it is.

cvansickle said:

i love your setup!!!

Holy sh**!
cvansickle that's one ungodly rig you got goin' there!
You must be an electrical engineer or something!
If you've got any sound clips that would be awsome.
I'm going to bug Guitar Center until they bring in some TC Elect.
for me to try out.I hate to buy something without trying it out first.
Thanks for sharing the pictures of your rig.You've got some pretty cool guitars too.I love the silver LP!

pjrake - I noticed you've got a rocktron xpression unit running thru your effects loop.
How do you like it?
Any pros or cons?
I'm trying to decide between a Gmajor or a Xpression unit.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

zakk615 said:
Cvansickle- What kind of phaser is that and how do you like it?
The phaser is a Shannon phaser that I got last year as Eric Shannon was closing down his production. It's got the classic MXR Phase 90 sound but it is also much more versatile. True bypass too. I was using an MXR EVH Phase 90, but the Shannon sounds better.

**** CVANSICKLE

I'm a bit green with envy. Quite impressive. I love running stereo effects but I just use two amps. That's a clever setup you've got. It makes me think I could try something similar. Instead of lugging and extra head and cab, I could just send the outputs from the stero power amp to the house pa. Cool Stuff Man!

As far as guitars, I've got my strat and an SG. I'm lacking the Les Paul though. I doubt I'll be lucky enough to score a Silverburst. Adam Jones piqued my interest in that particular Paul and there just so **** sweet looking.

Latest posts

Back