Best Cabinet for a Mark IV A Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I know that this topic is beaten to death in the Mark IV thread, but I wanted to isolate it because I felt that the answers left more questions for me.

What cabinet is best for the Mark IV A head?

In the Mark IV thread, it was discussed that the Theile/EV was great and the THD was a close second.

What speakers were in the THD? I have an older one with Mojotones that might get a bit flubby with the Mark IV, but sounds great with an old Bassman.

Has anybody tried the 2x12 3/4 back tuned Mesa cab?

Has anybody used 2 of the open back 1x12 Mesa cabs?

What else has worked for you guys?

I play mostly Blues & Classic Rock at moderate volumes (especially for the Mark IV). I use a PRS Custom 22 with Dragon II's most of the time, but also use a PRS McCarty & US Strat Deluxe with the Mid Bottom Rio Grande set.

I play classic and new rock and my choices are:

First choice for most portable and mic freindly: 1x12 theile EVM sounds great for about everything and is great in the studio as well

Medium stages: 1x12 theile + 1x12 open back (with EVM's of course)

Bigger stages: 2x12 halfback (don't ask me what speakers I use)

I also love the sound of a pair of open backs (or a combo on an open back). Fabulous if you need to put an extension cab on the other side of the drummer.

A pair of theiles is also the best choice if you're after the bigger heavier sounds and don't want to hump around a 4x12.

Many also love the EVM and a C90 (or other celestion) together in any of the above combinations. Just my 2cents worth 8)

I'm thinking that I want to make it a combo, instead of the head.

In which case, since it is the widebody head, I was thinking of the following:

1x12 combo with C90
&
1x12 wide cab with 1/2 open back
or
1x12 Rectoverb Combo cab that I've turned into an extension cab - lots of bass and thump with 3 different open back configurations
or
2x12 Avatar open back, Mesa 3/4 back, or THD cab (speakers unknown)

We are a 3 piece, so every bit of sound helps. I'm even thinking of breaking the G Major out of mothballs.

The combo will serve as your 'open back' so I would suggest a closed back to combine with it. If it was a short combo you could stack it on a thiele cab and be ready to rock!

I think that the widebody combo will be too wide for the Thiele. I had thought about this, but it won't fit.

We have 3 widebody combos in our store right now and they are several inches wider than the Thiele that we just sold.

This is why I was looking at other options.

I also thought about a Thiele on the other side of the stage, but that's a lot of hassle.

I wrestled with this question quite a bit and this is what I finally did. I went back to my wide body combo with a Emminence Cannibis Rex. I have a Wide Body open back extension cab with a Eminence Swamp Thing. And I also kept a Theile with a Emi CR. These are for my Dry sound. For my wet I use 2 Theiles with EV's .

When I don't want to take my whole rig, the Combo is perfect. The Emi CR's are only rated for 50 watts, so I only use it alone when running 6v6's which max out at 37 watts in tweed mode.

If you are going to use any of 6L6/EL34 tubes, then the C90 is the best overall that is not too heavy, or the EV if you don't mind the extra weight.

That's what I thought. Can't wait to see the pics of your C90's.

I have a DC-5 that I can turn into a head by swapping the cabs.

I really like combos more, they just seem to fit what I do better than a head & cab.

Full circle from where I was 10 years ago. I used to think it was stupid to carry that much weight. Although at the time, I was using 2 half stacks. Talk about weight.

Latest posts

Back