Best Boost for Recto thread

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunge782

Reaction score
I'm trying to get together people's opinions on what boosts they like best with their Recto. Maybe there is another thread like this, but I can't find one. Settings are welcomed too.

So what do you guys like? I've tried a Danelectro Cool Cat overdrive and I'm liking it pretty well.

I use a maxon od 808, I saw a demo of devin townsend using one with a recto and a stilleto on youtube. I think it works well.

MXR Zakk Wylde OD! Volume maxxed, Gain at 0 and tone at about 11:00-noon!

I've owned them all and finally settled on my Fulltone OCD as my main rhythm pedal. I'll use an 808 as a lead boost sometimes but more and more im running just an EQ as a boost for leads.

XevKai said:
I've owned them all and finally settled on my Fulltone OCD as my main rhythm pedal. I'll use an 808 as a lead boost sometimes but more and more im running just an EQ as a boost for leads.

OCD is a nice choice. I've tried a fatboost, and my Dan Electro is a clone of that (not as good but still not bad). I liked both pretty well.

The 808 seems very popular, I'll have to try it.

I use a bad monkey on the rectoverb. It's a good pedal ... very versatile and transpartent (two tone knobs instead of one). Not a lot of gain if you're running it on the clean channel, but it'll push the lead channel in vintage mode nicely.

I used to use an MXR 10-band EQ pedal. Cut bass frequencies a bit, boost volume a bit (anywhere from +3 to +12db) depending on how crazy I wanted to go.

I stopped using it though as I've decided it's sapping a bit of my Les Paul's delicious natural warmth and girth. I still use it for my KH-602 with EMG 81's because it's cold as **** anyway, so there isn't really much to sap from it.

mrd said:
I used to use an MXR 10-band EQ pedal. Cut bass frequencies a bit, boost volume a bit (anywhere from +3 to +12db) depending on how crazy I wanted to go.

I stopped using it though as I've decided it's sapping a bit of my Les Paul's delicious natural warmth and girth. I still use it for my KH-602 with EMG 81's because it's cold as f%&# anyway, so there isn't really much to sap from it.

Yeah I've heard about people using the MXR 10 band as well. I have a rackunit but thats it.

I use the Ibanez TS9 reissue for my rectos, like this pedal because it takes a little bit of the extra low end out and boosts the mid's a bit. For my stiletto I use the 808 because it is more clear.

For Volume boost I use the solo channel on the head itself...

For more gain for soloing I use a BOSS Super Overdrive.

Yea I know pretty simplistic, but **** the gain you get is phe-nom

TexasFM3

I have fulltone ocd , maxon od808 and bb preamp
I use fulltone ocd and maxon od808 for rhythm and bb preamp for soloing
I sometime use the OCD only or the OD 808 only depending on which guitar I use
I prefer OCD alone with basswood type guitar and od808 with alder because it tighten low-end better

Basswood guitar tend to tight low-end naturally.

I have a wireless system that has the option to deliver either mic-level or line-level. I used a Boss super overdrive, til one day when i tried outputting line level instead of mic. The results for me was exactly the same as using the overdrive pedal, so i could get rid of the pedal in my signal chain.

Cable and OD-pedal still sounds a little better, but i always step on my cables and destroy them so i dial the difference in sound away instead.

droptrd said:
I like the OD808 for the rectos. Tightens the lowend and warms up the mids.
For the folks using boosts - are you using these in front of the amp or in the loop? I have a basic Single Recto setup right now. I guess logically, it would make the most sense in the loop since this will modify the post-amp signal.

Back