Best Boogie For Clean and Twang Tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macstrat

Reaction score
I had a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a fantastic clean channel, then a DC-3 with a fantastic lead channel. I don't want to lug two amps to a gig so which Boogie gets closest to that twangy Fender tone but still delivers the classic Boogie lead ?

Mark I probably.

I use my tele(nocaster) with my Mark IV and it sounds brilliant.

thindave said:
I would go with the Lonestar Special...

An EL84 amp for fender tones?

I would say the LSC or the E5:50 is your best bet. Unless you want to step into Mark territory.

Well he said Fender tones and classic boogie lead.. that has mark written all over it :p

phyrexia said:
thindave said:
I would go with the Lonestar Special...

An EL84 amp for fender tones?

I would say the LSC or the E5:50 is your best bet. Unless you want to step into Mark territory.

Dang, I meant the LSC... :?

The best Mesa clean I've ever heard was a blue stripe Mark III Series 300 I had a while back, four 6L6s and two EL34s, simulclass.

Wish I still had it. Although it did seem like it weighed 100lb.

macstrat said:
I had a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a fantastic clean channel, then a DC-3 with a fantastic lead channel. I don't want to lug two amps to a gig so which Boogie gets closest to that twangy Fender tone but still delivers the classic Boogie lead ?
Mark IV.

Thanks for advice. A few folks are suggesting the MkIV here. Is the clean much better than a MkIII or are they much the same ? (I haven't had the chance to try either.)

macstrat said:
Thanks for advice. A few folks are suggesting the MkIV here. Is the clean much better than a MkIII or are they much the same ? (I haven't had the chance to try either.)
Very similar. The III is a tad brighter. I like both. Reverb is WAY better on the IV though. In fact I think the reverb on III is useless, which is a pity, coz it's a great amp otherwise.

~trem

My green stripe Mark III Simulclass has the best clean I've heard, but I have an Altec 417 8H in it to get that tone. SWWWEEEEEETTTT!!!! Also running to a 2x15 cab with Eminence Big Bens and Boss RV-5 reverb. Very cool surf/country trang with my 95 ltd Strat. What a great amp the Mark III is!!!

trem said:
macstrat said:
Very similar. The III is a tad brighter. I like both. Reverb is WAY better on the IV though. In fact I think the reverb on III is useless, which is a pity, coz it's a great amp otherwise.

~trem

ive used to think that way, after ive changed and put a brand new reverb tank on mine the reverb's now stellar!! :)

mkIIIs are here for a good time now (20 years or so) and they're starting to fell over (at least some parts, which is totally normal) and i dare to say that the reverb is pretty much the first thing that breaks on'em.

Interesting replies. I like the look of the Nomad and you can pick up second-hand Nomad 1x12s on UK eBay for around £600.00, a lot cheaper than Mark series amps, but there seems to be reliability issues with them judging by Harmony Central reviews. The only amp that never let me down on a gig was the DC-3 so I have faith in Mesa's build quality which I wouldn't like to be dented. Sounds like a used Mk III or IV would be the best bet. Just need to find one now !

Hi mac,

I just answered your other thread :)

The MKIII (mine is a green simul) is absolutely brilliant for cleans. No, stellar!! You want "twangy fender"? I sometimes think that the III out-fenders the fenders ...and I *own* a Fender PRII which I really like!

And of course, it's thoroughly capable of classic boogie lead tone in spades. I'll leave the comparison to a IV to someone with firsthand experience :)

Edward

Hi Edward,
Thanks for both your replies. They've been really useful. The search for a MkIII is on !
Cheers,
Mac

My preference for cleans on my Boogies are:

Mark IIC > Mark III blue stripe > Mark IV

I finally was able to get my IV clean to sound half decent by lowering its gain, which made it more "chimey". My IIC clean still pwns it though.

From the 3 Boogie amps that I have owned the 2C+ amps had nicer clean channels over a green stripe Mkiii. Not a huge difference but they were somewhat bigger and richer sounding.

Latest posts

Back