best 2*12 cab for classic rock for a mark v

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markvdude

Reaction score
interested in thoughts on what would be the best 2*12 cab for a mark v focusing on classic rock and blues sounds. thanks

I have a 2x12 THD. It really works for rock. Its the one with 2 different speakers, a longhorn and something else. Well broken in now, though it was really 'sharp' at the start. It is great clean, a big wide sound, and it handles overdrive really beautifully. Its quite light too, and well made. recommended, though I haven't tried other 2x12's.

I don't know about the best 2x12" for the job but I too play mostly classic rock. I was also using a 2x12" THD cab with 2 well broken in (5-years) longhorn (Classic lead 80). I found the high frequencies to be too piercing so I changed from 6L6 to EL34 and ended up changing the speakers (see my sig for details) following a suggestion from an other MkV owner. I'm quite happy with the result

Mark V Head + Avatar Vintage 212

Vintage 30 + G12H75

Works for me and da' Band!

Patrick

The rehearsal studio I use has one of those old-school Boogie 2x12s with the wire grate on the front and the open top/closed bottom. Man that thing sounds fucking great. I plug my combo into it, unplugging my combo speaker and just running the cab. I can't imagine why anyone would want or need anything else. It is really amazing.

Slightly OFF TOPIC

I have a Rectifier Vertical 2 x 12 with 2 x V30-->close to perfection-->often mentioned here

But very recently I use a stack of a MB Thiele with an old EVM12L(200w) Bottom and on q 1 x12 Rectifier(V30) and coulnd be happier

I play cover Deep Purple,Sanatan,Zep etc

Roland

jackio said:
I have a 2x12 THD. It really works for rock. Its the one with 2 different speakers, a longhorn and something else. Well broken in now, though it was really 'sharp' at the start. It is great clean, a big wide sound, and it handles overdrive really beautifully. Its quite light too, and well made. recommended, though I haven't tried other 2x12's.

+1 on the THD 212

I like the THD, but I prefer the Mesa 3/4 back 2x12. The bottom end is much bigger, and it just looks right with the Mark V head. I don't love the C90's, and think the cab sounds better with other speakers. I have a pair of stock Carvin 100 speakers of all things, and I think it sounds much better. I have some Celestion Golds that I'm gonna throw in at some point.....

Back