Benefits of running 2 Mesa Boogie Mark III's ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandan

Reaction score
I own a Mesa Boogie Mark III (that had the C+ mod done to it)

If I bought another Mark III and ran both at the sametime through a cabinet would there be any benefit?

Would the sound be any tighter/articulate?

Over-all would there be a great benefit in it?

I heard John Sykes used 2 Mark III coloseiums when he recorded the whitesnake 87 album

Best thing I could think of is being able to keep one with a lower volume 1 for cleans, and the second head for rhythm/lead...Plus, if you A/B/Y them, you could run the clean all the time, and footswitch the rhythm/lead on the other head. Then you'd have a full, cutting, heavey tone all the time...
On the other hand, if super cleans, and heavey leads aren't your deal, you could "bi-amp" and utilize one for the upper registers, and the other for lower registers. When bi-amping, each of the heads has to only concentrate on either upper or lower tones. With a Mark III, I don't really think it's necessary, so the first scenario seems the best to me...
ax. 8)

If you want to run them into one cabinet you need a Radial Headbone Switcher. Don't hook a "Y" cord from two amps into one cab you'll damage your amp. :wink:

If you use a stereo delay pedal you could run one amp completely dry (no delay), and the other completely wet (repeats only). The advantage to this is that each amp only has to amplify it's part of the signal, which makes the delay sound less jumbled.

Same trick as above, but use a chorus....popular in the 80s, and with Zakk Wylde.

:D It will help you achieve deafness more quickly. :D

These are some good ideas, with the stereo cab.

You could also stack 2 2x12's or use one amp on each side of the room with a different cab and get some serious stereo tones. One of the guys that I jam with runs his guitar into his pedal board and has a stereo Delay at the end of it. He then runs into a Princeton Reverb on each side of the room. It sounds really fat.

Stereo rigs are a lot of fun. I've done some experimenting with two half stacks, a loop station, an aby switch and a delay pedal. Mostly when I was the only guitar player and wanted to fill out the sound by layering parts live. The wet/dry scenario mentioned above is great. Delay on a single channel sounds cool, but when the signals are on either end of a room, it really does a number to your head.

Latest posts

Back