been asked before, but..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnotoad696

Reaction score
Yes, I've read it all on this topic, watched all the youtubes... etc... But as time has gone on since those, I feel I should ask again before making a purchase.

My instinct is to go for the Mark V 25, due to the lower wattage and the ability to give it some juice past the 1.5 master I was ever able to get my Mark IV past.. But then there's the mini rectifier now, and from what I'm told the "full" mark V has a pretty **** nice 45W mode....

I'm new to the board here, but not a mesa rookie at all. Sold my Mark 4 a year ago or so to get rid of a high interest credit card thug, but need a new one now, and with all the new low wattage lunchboxes out there, I feel I'm treading deep water. Again, I know there are post about this, but they get old, people for new opinions, find new settings etc.. could use some advice as I tread the new waters of the el84 lunchboxes, or maybe go clear of them and stick with 6l6ers on tweed? Heck I dunno... Thanks in advance.

ESP M-II NTB custom shop
ESP V NTB custom shop

gone but not forgotten -

Mark IV short head
Mark IV combo
F-30
Nomad 50

It depends on how you are planning on using the amp. If you are strictly a bedroom player, you probably don't need anything more than the good lunchbox amps out there. I play in a gigging band, and I need the headroom of a higher wattage amp. I absolutely love my Mark V, which I use both for performing and rehearsals. But, for practicing on my own at home, I use a cheap solid state, where you can get all the distortion you want at a low volume.

Both are great amps. I have the V 25 and the Big Daddy V. I use the V 25 for playing around the house and the Mark V for playing out. I love them both but if your just a home guitar player then the V 25 is the ticket as they have PLENTY of power even for a garage band or small gig sessions. I was blown away with the power that little beast has. Altough the Mark V does have a third channel which is very nice to have and you can switch between 90/45/10 watts and lots of other features the V 25 does not have. Decisions decisions. Best of luck that's just my 2 cents.

I have owned a few big daddy Mark V's (on my 4th one now and I plan on keeping this one) and I owned the Mini V:25 for a short time before returning it. Here are my reasonings why I returned it:

1) It just didn't have that low end thump that the big daddy had and I missed that terribly.
2) After playing through the big daddy for so many years, I just felt like it was missing something and it didn't have the same feel/sound. Maybe it's just the EL84's, but I couldn't completely bond with it.
3) Lastly and probably my biggest complaint was the volume. I live in an apartment and the taper on the volume wasn't feasible for me. It went from whisper volumes to pissing the neighbors off in a hurry and not much in between. The big daddy Mark V is much more apt friendly (in my opinion), even in the 45 watt mode and still sounds amazing with that low end thump I was missing in the Mini.

So with all that being said, the Mini V:25 had to go back and I purchased my 4th and final Mark V. Believe me, I was really hoping the Mini V was going to work for me to be able to save some money, but I absolutely would NOT have been content keeping that over the big daddy V. YMMV. Good luck with your decision!

therandomhero15 said:
I have owned a few big daddy Mark V's (on my 4th one now and I plan on keeping this one) and I owned the Mini V:25 for a short time before returning it. Here are my reasonings why I returned it:

1) It just didn't have that low end thump that the big daddy had and I missed that terribly.
2) After playing through the big daddy for so many years, I just felt like it was missing something and it didn't have the same feel/sound. Maybe it's just the EL84's, but I couldn't completely bond with it.
3) Lastly and probably my biggest complaint was the volume. I live in an apartment and the taper on the volume wasn't feasible for me. It went from whisper volumes to pissing the neighbors off in a hurry and not much in between. The big daddy Mark V is much more apt friendly (in my opinion), even in the 45 watt mode and still sounds amazing with that low end thump I was missing in the Mini.

So with all that being said, the Mini V:25 had to go back and I purchased my 4th and final Mark V. Believe me, I was really hoping the Mini V was going to work for me to be able to save some money, but I absolutely would NOT have been content keeping that over the big daddy V. YMMV. Good luck with your decision!

Very helpful post, and why I continue to shy away from the Mini V. Waiting for Mesa to come out with version 2 of the mini, hopefully with an updated power section...

Yeah, that's the paradox of the Mini...just because it's a low wattage amp doesn't necessarily mean it's better suited for low-volume playing through a cab. The big MkV, with its separate Master volume and Output controls, can actually be easier to tame for low volumes.
OTOH, the Mini does offer the headphone option, which kind of makes up for that, if you don't mind playing through headphones.

But where the wattage does matter is the headroom. The bigger headroom is not just about how loud you can turn up your amp before it starts breaking up. The bigger headroom sounds different - beefier sound, more low-end thump, more authority. Said it before, and saying it again; that is why I practically always use the 90W power setting on my V, even for bedroom playing. It just sounds better. At band volume, the difference is obviously even stronger.
And that's the main reason why I haven't been interested in the Minis; I've been spoiled by the big Mesas. 8)

As always, YMMV. :D

If you have or had a Mark IV, the master volume basically has no taper to it. The amp will be at near full potential at the number 3 setting. If you lack the appropriate speaker that can handle the output potential of the amp you can set much higher and hear how compressed it becomes. The MC90 will not hold up past 3. On the flip side, the Mark V master controls are quite different. There is plenty of taper or attenuation of the signal with the individual masters or the single master when using the effects loop. It will require a greater amount of setting to achieve the save volume level of the Mark IV set at 3. I basically found the master volume control useless on the Mark IV and the Mark III, which is either just a buzz to nearly full on. Not sure about the Mark V:25 or the other micro amps. Roadster and RA100 are similar to the Mark V in terms of volume characteristics, there is plenty of control movement to achieve a desirable volume.

LesPaul70 said:
Yeah, that's the paradox of the Mini...just because it's a low wattage amp doesn't necessarily mean it's better suited for low-volume playing through a cab. The big MkV, with its separate Master volume and Output controls, can actually be easier to tame for low volumes.
OTOH, the Mini does offer the headphone option, which kind of makes up for that, if you don't mind playing through headphones.

But where the wattage does matter is the headroom. The bigger headroom is not just about how loud you can turn up your amp before it starts breaking up. The bigger headroom sounds different - beefier sound, more low-end thump, more authority. Said it before, and saying it again; that is why I practically always use the 90W power setting on my V, even for bedroom playing. It just sounds better. At band volume, the difference is obviously even stronger.
And that's the main reason why I haven't been interested in the Minis; I've been spoiled by the big Mesas. 8)

As always, YMMV. :D

Totally with you here. I've never been impressed with the lower wattage settings for my style of play; IMO it undermines the dynamics. I always play my Marks on full power, although I prefer triode to pentode with the Mark IV.

My take.

It all depends on what you are looking for in an amp.

I knew going into Mark V25 it would not be as “beefy” or have quite the "thump" of the full 90 watter. The low end is what consumes most of the power. That is why bass amps are so much higher wattage then guitar amps. That said don’t get the false impression the mark V25 is thin and has no low end. It sure does. Just not as much as a 90 watt amp would, as is to be expected. And for me I wouldn’t even notice unless they were side by side.

I already have an Axe FX II rig and power amp setup that I would put up against any rig. And I own a JCM 800 2204. So because of that I was in the market for something light weight where I could grab my guitar and head and carry it easily without breaking my back up a couple flights of steps. (place I jam at already has cabs though I still obsess over buying my next cab)

And it had to sound incredible. And it does!

If I didn't have the other rigs would I have gone for the 25 watter vs the 90 watter?

Hard to say. Maybe, maybe not. If it were my only rig I could see myself not wanting to compromise and going with the 90 watter. But man it was SOOOO easy to carry to practice and sounded so good once paired with the right cab.

Again it really just comes down to what is important to you in an amp.

DO NOT pick up one of the mesa mini’s if you think it will be better for an apartment because it is 25 watts switchable to 10 unless you plan on using the headphones (which will only be on the Mark V25, mini recto has no headphone jack).

It gets loud quick and is no more suited for apartment volumes through a cab then your average 50 watt and above amp. And as some have already pointed out, given the 90 watter has a channel AND master, it is probably easier to tame the volume.

The only real drawback I had with the V25 was that with the wrong cabinet, I did struggle a little keeping up with our hard hitting drummer. The cab I initially used had Celestian G12T-75’s which have a low sensitivity.

However when I switched to the cab with the Vintage 30’s, I had no problem keeping up. Actually had to turn down.

With the 90 watter you would never have ANY issues keeping up volume wise in any situation where the drums aren’t going through a PA. And if the drums are going through a PA, you are going through a PA.

Plus with the 90 watter you get 3 separate channels. For me, not an issue. But if that is important to you then it is something to consider.

Anyway, if your still reading this far down I have rambled on enough.

I had a Mrk V aways back. And loved it accept for the weight issue. Had to return it cause it had some pretty bad cold weld issues. Anyways, I tried the Mrk V 25 hoping it would give me the Mrk V goods at a lower price. However, it in the end for me was lacking. so I have it up for sale. Going to grab another Mrk V, but this time just the Head. Lighter, and I can have my 6L6s back again. ;p

Great advice, I did pick up a 25, hopeful it would do what I wanted, but as stated in a separate post, the headroom on the clean channel was lacking bigtime. The el84 also didn't have that hard hitting in your face mesa thump. Could a saved myself a little trouble finding f I'd listed Ed to u guys, but had to give the 25 a shot, the size of it is great for transport. But, naw. I need the big daddy and the 6l6. Though from what ive been reading even seasoned boogie owners take a lit of time to tweak the sucker, especially high gain settings. Found a big 5 on ebay in like new condition for 1600. Not bad!! Let the tweaking begin!!

Latest posts

Back