beam blockers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dverrill

Reaction score
has anyone tried them? are they effective? they come in 12" with a 4" or 5" center cone. any preferences? do i need to do all four?
thanks
d.

sory. i'm running a peavey 5150 head with a mesa oversized standard 4x12 cab. amp sounds pretty midy and bright rite now. i have tried cutting with my eq but it seems one extreme or the other. i've done a small amount of research on these webber beam blockers. seem pretty straight foward. i'm just looking for some experienced if any advice.

I think that's the wrong cab for the 5150, just my opinion. I think the 5150 cab and head go together like nothing else, they are just matched to each other perfectly.

I run beam blockers with one of my amps, it definitly tames the shrill highs and doesn't kill the people sitting directly in front of you amp either. You would want to do all 4 speakers too, it would be of no real use to do just 2. JMO

i got em on my avatar 4x12 w/ v30s powered by a dual rec. i like them the main reason i use them is becasue i play in a small room and it spreads the sound more evenly so that you dont only get good sound directly in front of the amp, and it also cuts out some of the higher annoying frequencies.

VoodooChild24 said:
Where do we buy this?

http://www.tedweber.com/

Ted is a great guy. He really tries to answer your questions to your satisfaction, and doesn't ever try to sell you something.

BTW, anyone try a beamblocker on an EVM-loaded Thiele? The MC90 in the amp combo disperses well IMO, but the Thiele is pretty hyper directional.

Edward

tele_jas said:
You would want to do all 4 speakers too, it would be of no real use to do just 2. JMO

Don't agree on the four or nothing argument. I run the blockers on the top 2 of my 4 x 12 and it makes a clear difference, especially for balance of stage volume.

Live soundmen usually close mic one of the bottom two speakers and I didn't want to risk messing that up if they placed wrong so I left them alone.

Doing all four will certainly produce a greater change, no argument, but doing only the top two made a hearable difference in highs and in spreading the sound.

-P

I just use 2 on the top two speakers in my Recto cab (V30s). I like the "splash" I get from the floor with the two open speakers (plus it makes miking easier) but I enjoy the balance I get with the top two dispersing a bit.

I also have enjoyed having one in my Ace 2x12 - best of both worlds to me.

Can you guys give me an idea of what all consists on installing these blockers on a mesa 4x12 traditional. Is there a lot to take apart other than the back and the speakers or do you need to take off the front grill and everything?
Any help is appreciated,, thanks much all

You have to remove the rear panel and unscrew the speakers you are working on. That's it.

I don't know how necessary this really is as I don't hear of too many people doing it.

I bet anyone that wants to be creative and has a sunday afternoon can make a beam blocker easily. Hell even running some tape across your grill and using a piece of cardboard over the cone would give you a good idea whether or not they will benefit your sound.

Greg

disassembled said:
Hell even running some tape across your grill and using a piece of cardboard over the cone would give you a good idea whether or not they will benefit your sound.

That's kind of how I deceided to buy the Beam Blockers. I did the SRV trick (duct tape on the speaker grill) and listened. The Beam Blockers make more of a difference than just the tape did, maybe because they are closer to the speaker?

Someone mentioned just attaching them to the baffle in front of the rear mounted speaker. That may be a good way to tweak the amount of influence the blocker has on the sound difussion.

Dom

Alright I finally got my beam blockers and in about 20 minutes installed all four of them. Pretty easy,, why was I intimidated?
Anyways, im glad I took the chance on them. They really do work as advertized. I was a bit worried that they would dull the sound or even change the sound. They dont. Funny because you will notice an immediate change. They simply block the beam,,,,DUH. Im able to walk all around my cab and the sound is pretty much the same all around.
It still is a bit louder directly in front but not anywhere like it used to be.
I bought these mainly because im running a deuce into a traditional 4x12 which this combo has a tendancy to be some what on the bright side.
Since installing these, for the first time ive been able to raise my treble and presence up to more normal positions instead of both of them between 9-10 oclock. The sound isnt changed,,, the harshness is gone.
Really nice because I spend a lot of time sitting directly in front of my amp when alone,, and its now comfortable to listen to without all the ear stress.. Excellent investment if you ask me. I highly recommend them.

Latest posts

Back