basswood vs. mahogany body for 7 string?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basswood gets a pretty bad rap. As a tone wood REAL basswood is actually quite good.

The Suhr and Anderson sites have great descriptions of body wood tones

Between the two guitars there are major differences between them. The ibanez is more for shredding while the schecter has more meat on the neck. The mahogany will sound heavier on the rythem but the ibanez will be easier to play leads on, assuming you like thin necks. Both good guitars and either way they should sound good.

i have played last years model. I dont think they changed the neck. Even if they did it wont be as thin as an ibanez. Those blackouts look killer.

if you're going to play metal go with the schecter. I have an Ibanez 7621 and hate the tone of Basswood for rhythm work, great for leads and cleans and everthing else, but it just doesn't chunk like mahagony. My A-7 from Schecter owns it in the heavy crunch dept.

Great question. I've built / assembled guitars with both woods. Both has its strong points.

Dead Moon Rising claims he hates Basswood for rhythm. My explanation it does get a bit mushy at the low end, not necessarily a bad thing 'cause it might be rather a preference for others.

For hi gain pickups I prefer basswood. For all-around I prefer mahogany. I'll go with mahogany today. Maybe you want a little more detail bottom end. But then again maybe you want loose bottom end where I would select basswood. But then again, the mids and highs w/ hi gain pickups, basswood is great.

I give up. :x

I played that ibanez at GC and didn't like it, the tone wasn't good at all, but the neck was okay, which is rather surpising.. maybe changing the pups?
I think that it was an okay guitar for that money..

im not sure what your price range is, but for $700 you can get the s7320; mahogany body, ZR trem, and a wizard II neck. only downside is you'll more than likely want to replace the pups. they're decent, but the guitar would sound a whole lot better with some quality pups.

Latest posts

Back