basic roadster/rec eq questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex1fly

Reaction score
what are the general characteristics of the roadster channels? i know that channel 3's presence taper is more suited to vintage and channel 4 to modern, are there any other differences? people say that rectifiers naturally lack mids and have a lot of bass. is this true and are there any other eq tendencies?

just trying to better get to know my amp :)

The rectifiers are VERY bass and treble heavy...awefully scooped in the mids. The oversized cab adds to that even more if that's what you're using.

Channel 3 and 4 are very similar, but with different presence levels, as you said. (ala channel 2 and 3 on a regular rectifier).

That's about it.

Welcome to Recto land...I'm on my way out to Mark IV land!

the mark IV and roadster were my two main choices... i chose the roadster because it seemed friendlier to use, though i've found that i dont mind the knob tweaking that i feared would be inevitable with the mark IV. i know the roadster will sound good, its just a matter of finding the right pickups to balance that natural bass/treble/harsh thing it can have going on. thanks for the general outline, i appreciate it!

I don't mind the tweaking of the Mark IV....

I spent a year with the recto, and I could never take care of the barsh unbalanced tone...I couldn't fix it with anything...tubes...pups...even cabs....

Then again, the recto tone just isn't for me anymore.

alex1fly said:
what are the general characteristics of the roadster channels? i know that channel 3's presence taper is more suited to vintage and channel 4 to modern, are there any other differences? people say that rectifiers naturally lack mids and have a lot of bass. is this true and are there any other eq tendencies?

channel 4's gain sorta starts where channel 3's leaves off..... more compression..... there seems to be some more bass on channel 4 too..... i look at it like this... channel 3 = tight crunch ala master of puppets...channel 4 = wall of gain ala killswitch engage.... i like the fact they react very different as both channel's characteristics find the right spots in my music

roadster 2x12 combo on top of a 2x12 roadster cab is amazing with a les paul OR a tele much to my surprise.

jdurso said:
alex1fly said:

channel 4's gain sorta starts where channel 3's leaves off..... more compression..... there seems to be some more bass on channel 4 too..... i look at it like this... channel 3 = tight crunch ala master of puppets...channel 4 = wall of gain ala killswitch engage.... i like the fact they react very different as both channel's characteristics find the right spots in my music

cool. nice comparison, very helpful! does anyone else have certain styles or tones you go for on the Roadster's channel 3 and 4?

Latest posts

Back