Badlander el34s vs 6L6 smackdown

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarebitusa

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
This topic started on another thread... thought it was worthwhile to throw up a specific one for it.

Initially when I got the Badlander and was just checking everything out, threw a set of STR440s in it just to see what that was all about. Yep there was a difference but didn't really analyze it much, a couple of hours later they got swapped out for the el34s. Now many months later the Badlander is currently the live rig. Much more familiar with its core voicing and of course digging it. With a few rehearsals in the books it's also pretty much dialed in now.

So @spawnofthesith2 got me to try 6L6s again. Oh why not. I was missing that fatter Mark clean anyway. Well this time around it was a different experience. First off the Badlander does the 6L6 swap thing well. It really offers a distinct choice. Unlike the V:90 el34 swap, where IMHO that was less of a defining character. The BAD 6L6 frequency shift was apparent, more mid-lows and bass, stiffer and denser. Cleans were more defined. With the el34s the cabs were an EVM Thiele with a 2x10 G10-40 cab, but that didn't work at all. Gone was all the upper end chime, sparkle and clarity and the EVM was dominating. Swapped the 2x10 out for a WB 1x12 Heritage G12-65, that sealed the deal, it brought back what the 2x10 previously had been providing and even more so. It sounded huge, this was real deal it was awesome at rehearsal. Starting to have hope I may actually become a better tube sniffer. :ROFLMAO:

But for all the 6L6 goodness the BAD has, going back to the el34s. For only one reason... realizing the el34 thing is what I got the BAD for... it's not a Mark, or a LSS or even a Stiletto. It's this unique BAD thing that is different then the others. While the 6L6s did bring alot to the party if I want that sort of deal, I'll bring the V:90. Can plug either in to a show now guessing the mood I'm in will drive what rig gets taken next time.

Back