Badcat Hot Cat Combo vs...?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmpatrick

Reaction score
I plugged into a Hot Cat combo this past weekend and was very impressed. I'm a Dual Recto user, but it has too much gain for me. What does Mesa offer similar to the Hot Cat? I can't see paying $2500 for a 1x12 combo if Mesa has something close gain-wise for less...

jp

Not too familiar with the Bad Cat, but I know it's more of a low-gain blues/country amp. How about the Lonestars? They are "Blackface" killers and can do classic rock and blues too (but no hard rock or metal).

The Hot Cat comes in 15, 30, or 100 watt configurations. It uses EL34's and is class A. The best comparison would be the Lone Star Special. It's less money and you have the option to switch from 5/15/30 watts. It comes in a 1x12 combo, like the Hot Cat. Suggested retail is about a $1000 less. Also, the Lonestar is a 2 Channel amp and has a footswitchable Solo feature.

I'll have to offer a slightly contrary opinion to TJ's. I have a Lone Star Classic (the 50/100W version) and I think it does hard rock pretty well - if you define hard rock as classic AC/DC or Cream (Sunshine or Crossroads) type of drive.

It is not a Marshall - the drive is warmer than most Mesa's, but it is a Mesa voice.

The LS Special might be what you want, but you have to like the el84 sound.

Latest posts

Back