Back to basics on my Lone Star Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnumb44

Reaction score
I've tried various tubes and speakers looking to refine the tone of my LSC. Last night I thought I would put things back to original state and see how I liked it. After all, it hasn't been stock since 3 days after I got it and changed the speakers.

In went the MB preamp tubes and the Black Shadow speakers. I had already had the stock 6L6 power tubes in having opted for them over the EL34s I tried for a bit.

It surprised me that I actually liked the stock kit alot. The changes I had made were to equipment that I had been using for a while, especially, the speakers - a set of Weber Silver Bells that sound wonderful in rock and blues and I've been using with Marshall style amps.

I think what I am experiencing is the old Hawthorn phenomenon (named after a Bell Labs location where the experiment was conducted) in that any change brings about an initial positive reaction just cause it is different. I do think that that only explains part of my reaction. I had an sense of how things were going to change when I put everything back and that is pretty much what happened.

So I used the stock setup for a short time and started getting a staticy white noise on both channels that was reduced when I went to Tweed mode. I swapped the preamp tubes around (I had a couple of spares from Mesa Boogie) and that fixed the noise.

Later today I swapped back V1 and V2 of the preamps for a couple of EH12AX7's I had and they changed the tone just slightly. Tightened up the bass and seemed to add a little shimmer on the high end that is very melodic, not shrill. I A/B'd them a couple of times to make sure I wasn't just fooling myself, and am pleased with the way things are right now.

The good thing about that last sentence is that now I'll do more playing of the guitar than dickin' with the technology!

BTW, what is the equivalent Celestion speaker to the Black Shadow?

I actually like the stock tubes in my Lonestar Special and the speaker. I see no need to change either.

Which, of course, makes me a complete idiot I assume ;)

cnumb44 said:
I think what I am experiencing is the old Hawthorn phenomenon (named after a Bell Labs location where the experiment was conducted) in that any change brings about an initial positive reaction just cause it is different. I do think that that only explains part of my reaction. I had an sense of how things were going to change when I put everything back and that is pretty much what happened.

Hmm, the "Hawthorne Phenomenon" great explanation, and there is certainly a high percentage of of posts floating around the 'net that are of good folks experiencing that very phenomenon...hell knows I'v been a "victim" of it myself!

BTW, what is the equivalent Celestion speaker to the Black Shadow?

The Classic Lead 80 will get you there. Silver Bells are KILLER speakers!

Latest posts

Back