Axe-Fx or Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryjan

Reaction score
A guy I know wants to trade straight across my Axe Fx standard for a Mark V head. What do I do?
All right, all right. I know what everyone is going to say on the BB especially in the Mark V section.
Here's the plan: Get the V 8) , sell my ss power amp, some blood, save up for another 3 months, and buy a cheapo used dual recto. Then I will have the real version of every amp I use in the Axe Fx anyway.
My wife is going to have me locked up.

Ignoring the obvious question, I would say from a strictly trade value standpoint, you are getting the better end of that deal. I assume a used Mark V head (with atleast 3 years warranty left I assume) sells for a few hundred more then a used Axe FX standard.

I think your idea of having basically the two amps you use it for is also a good one.

For me where the Axe FX is priceless is playing at home, and late at night. I do mostly home recording and such and the convenience it provides can't be understated.

The Axe definitely has it's place. Late night jamming and recording being one. My problem is I do niether. I jam with my band, play gigs, and practice after work and on weekends so volume doesn't become an issue for me.

What you say is the reason I haven't bothered to use an Axe FX. I mean, what's the point of having hundreds of amp models if all you're interested in is the sounds available from the Mark and Recto?

It's also the reason I've passed up a few of them but GAS finally got the better of me. The Axe is really no better or worse than the real thing. I just don't feel like I'll ever take advantage of all the things it does.

Ryjan--- bro...:lol:

C'mon, tell 'em you just got rid of your Mark IV to buy the Axe FX. :D

Welcome back from the 'darkside'.

8)

~Nep~

Simple

If you record demo's in an apartment or low volume environment- Axe-FX

For all other purposes- Mark V

Neptical said:
Ryjan--- bro...:lol:

C'mon, tell 'em you just got rid of your Mark IV to buy the Axe FX. :D

Welcome back from the 'darkside'.

8)

~Nep~
Busted!
Sometimes you have to take a journey to realize how warm home is. :wink:

If you flash back 20 years and swap "AxeFX" for "ADA MP-1" and "Mark V" for "Mark III", I did the exact same thing; traded a Mark III for an ADA MP-1/Quadraverb setup back in '89. I still regret wanting 128 channels of bleh instead of my 3 channels of sweet honey. That is exactly what has kept me from taking the AxeFX plunge.

I have an AxeFx Ultra and love the sounds I get from it...but...I have a MarkV combo on the way to me right now and if it is as good as I think it will be the AxeFx will become the MarkV's effects unit that doubles as a direct recording device with the option to sell it to raise funds for a Suhr Modern. For me, sometimes, actually most of the time, a thousand choices get in the way of playing....

screamingdaisy said:
What you say is the reason I haven't bothered to use an Axe FX. I mean, what's the point of having hundreds of amp models if all you're interested in is the sounds available from the Mark and Recto?

Precisely! If you want the Mark V sound, get a Mark V. If you want a device that can emulate a whole bunch of amps, well, go for that. Even if every amp model is 100% of the original, it is still just a model. Besides, who wants 100 amp sounds? If you dig a Mesa sound, get a Mesa. Anything else is just a facsimile.

primal said:
Ignoring the obvious question, I would say from a strictly trade value standpoint, you are getting the better end of that deal. I assume a used Mark V head (with atleast 3 years warranty left I assume) sells for a few hundred more then a used Axe FX standard.

Not really. I'd say they are pretty equal. A used Axe-FX goes for almost the same price as a new one. Demand still outstrips supply most of the time.

primal said:
I think your idea of having basically the two amps you use it for is also a good one.

For me where the Axe FX is priceless is playing at home, and late at night. I do mostly home recording and such and the convenience it provides can't be understated.
It certainly excels at these things. :mrgreen:

gag halfrunt said:
primal said:

Not really. I'd say they are pretty equal. A used Axe-FX goes for almost the same price as a new one. Demand still outstrips supply most of the time.

Correct, but even new a Standard Axe FX is only 1500. I "think" Mark V heads are going for around 1700 used.

primal said:
gag halfrunt said:
primal said:

Correct, but even new a Standard Axe FX is only 1500. I "think" Mark V heads are going for around 1700 used.
I've only seen two used Mark Vs, and they were marked at $1,500. I'll admit to not being an expert on used Boogie prices, as I'm relatively new to the brand.

But I think we're on the same sheet of music here - dude should trade if the Mark V will be what he wants to use. Then it's a good trade, regardless of who is getting the better financial deal (if any).

primal said:
Ignoring the obvious question, I would say from a strictly trade value standpoint, you are getting the better end of that deal. I assume a used Mark V head (with atleast 3 years warranty left I assume) sells for a few hundred more then a used Axe FX standard..

Actually NO-->due to the delivery problems on AXE's and a huge waiting list (9 month) used Standard sell for almost SRP

But this is not main question.If Mark V covers all your tones and you never explore other amps(which is time consuming and sometimes give you unnecessary GAS) then go Mark V

Having both I cannot think of splitting with any of them

Roland

thunder100 said:
Actually NO-->due to the delivery problems on AXE's and a huge waiting list (9 month) used Standard sell for almost SRP
Right, but I'm pretty sure used Mark V heads are selling for more then a new Axe FX Standard. A quick check of Ebay completed listing showed the one that did sell going for 1800.

thunder100 said:
But this is not main question.If Mark V covers all your tones and you never explore other amps(which is time consuming and sometimes give you unnecessary GAS) then go Mark V

Having both I cannot think of splitting with any of them

Roland

Right as well. I love having the Axe FX, but it is also nice having good tube amp (in my case an Electra Dyne) at the same time.

thunder100 said:
primal said:
Ignoring the obvious question, I would say from a strictly trade value standpoint, you are getting the better end of that deal. I assume a used Mark V head (with atleast 3 years warranty left I assume) sells for a few hundred more then a used Axe FX standard..

Full price on a Standard is $1500. Used Mark Vs are still floating around $1700 to $1800.

I had an MP1 in the late 80's and early nineties along with a whole rack of effects and compressors. I suppose it was that era. I managed a decent set of tones for the time but hated the phantom crap that would go on with such a complex stereo rig.

I feel liberated just plugging straight into my V with three sweet channels for everything I need. I might add a delay and wah soon tho.

Latest posts

Back