axe-fx/axe-fx ultra or mesa boogie mark v amplifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archimonde

Reaction score
Last days i decided to buy a mesa boogie mark v amplifier but i m confused with axe-fx ultra.

i can buy an axe-fx ultra or mark v. Or spend less money and buy an axe-fx standard.

Which one is a good choice for playing progressive rock/metal like sounds. (like Dream Theater (petrucci sound), Marillion, Pink Floyd, etc.)

i want mesa boogie amplifier sound. ( i love it :) )

which one?

thanks a lot.

Depends on how you want to use it. No one does Boogie better than Boogie. Are you going to play live a lot? Are you going to just play at home?

One is a tube amp, the other emulates them decently. Personally I have a iv and v and would not sell either to fund the axe_fx. Iwill try and pick one up though after I score an electodyne.

mostly i ll play at home. maybe for fx i can buy an axe-fx. but it is too expensive so if i buy one of them i can buy another one at least 1-2 year later.

so buying a boogie mark v is the best solution for me?

or buying a mark iv

thanks

archimonde said:
mostly i ll play at home. maybe for fx i can buy an axe-fx. but it is too expensive so if i buy one of them i can buy another one at least 1-2 year later.

so buying a boogie mark v is the best solution for me?

or buying a mark iv

thanks

its a toss up really between the IV and the V. But I think the V offers way more sounds and versatility that you can dial in. Rumor is that Mark Morton from Lamb of God would rather go back to the Mark IV...but on the other hand, John Petrucci uses the Mark IIC+ and the Extreme channel quite a bit now in addition to the Mark IV on Channel 3 of Makr V. The cleans on the Mark V shimmers..the clipping is beautiful...for the money, I'd choose Mark V.
You could probably get a mark IV for half the price on ebay right now..thats what its at ..abt 1000 or so.
If you buy the Mark V now, its bound to hold its value for longer.

Good luck. If you choose the head, don't forget to use a true bypass Compressor and a tube screamer pedal that you can get for cheap on ebay/new. It just soudns better IMO ..but thats what works for me.

The axefx standard is becoming too small memory wise from what i've read. the new software is too much for the standard and people have to dumdown they're patches or else they get like a "not enough memory" error. So if you're considering the axefx, best be thinking the ultra. Also, you need to get midi switching which isn't free either.

Personally, I'm thinking the axefx would be endless fun for bedroom around the house or for steve vai type uber distortion stuff, but I think for live balls out with a drummer you'd be more happy with a tube amp - just a thought though, I've yet to try an axefx. The V is an awsome fun amp, tons of tones inside - channel two on it's own could be an amp so if you can afford it, I'd buy the V.

thanks for your answers.

i live in Turkey. So i cant buy everything i want from ebay. ( actually nearly nothing) There is a new mesa boogie distributor. I was very happy when i heard that. But prices are too high :(. A mesa boogie mark v combo is about $3000. I found an used mark iv for $2400. I cant find an axe-fx in Turkey.

@HeadlessAxeman

you said that if you choose a head then buy a compressor and tube screamer. i think i need both of them also If i buy a combo.

i think i ll buy a mesa boogie mark v. Now a toss up between combo or head but i think combo is good for me. Also Head+Cabinet is more expensive than a combo.

Some people say lead channel of mark iv is better than mark v's 3rd channel but i dont think. Also i think Petrucci wont get wrong about that.

archimonde said:
thanks for your answers.

i live in Turkey. So i cant buy everything i want from ebay. ( actually nearly nothing) There is a new mesa boogie distributor. I was very happy when i heard that. But prices are too high :(. A mesa boogie mark v combo is about $3000. I found an used mark iv for $2400. I cant find an axe-fx in Turkey.

@HeadlessAxeman

you said that if you choose a head then buy a compressor and tube screamer. i think i need both of them also If i buy a combo.

i think i ll buy a mesa boogie mark v. Now a toss up between combo or head but i think combo is good for me. Also Head+Cabinet is more expensive than a combo.

Some people say lead channel of mark iv is better than mark v's 3rd channel but i dont think. Also i think Petrucci wont get wrong about that.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a compressor or a tube screamer. Those aren't necessary. A Mark IV or V are going to sound great by themselves.

Turumbar82 said:
archimonde said:
thanks for your answers.

@HeadlessAxeman

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a compressor or a tube screamer. Those aren't necessary. A Mark IV or V are going to sound great by themselves.
I really don't like what compressors do to tube distortion. I agree that a gain box isn't necessary either.

archimonde said:
@HeadlessAxeman

A combo will do just fine for you. But if you are lookign to take it up one notch and move to jam room/studio/playing live..you'll need a half stack at the minimum or some really good mics (SM57, SM57A, DM421 etc to pick up on your 1x12 speaker on your combo).

Also, regardless of you buying a head or the combo version the Mark V, its really up to you if you want to use anything in the signal chain in front of amp (i.e, compressor/tubescreamer). Personally, the sounds are great without any compressor or tubescreamer...but that doesnt work for me..and its a personal taste..thats all..I prefer a compressor with normal compression at unity gain in the signal chain, because that gives me the mush and thunnk I like to hear on palm muted riffs, also the cleans have this glassy touch to them.

If for eg, you look at Petrucci, his rig is definitely NOT producing the killer sounds by just running a dry guitar signal in and out of the amp. He uses a compressor and tubescreamer as well, but that is not to say the amp won't sound killer without the bells and whistles (the amp already is loaded with em). Again..it's - what works for you :)

2 friends of mine are running an Axe fx with a mesa 2:90 power amp and I have had a good amount of time tweaking and playing through their setups. So Ill give you my $.02

First let me say I am not a modeling hater I have used quite a few modeling units over the years. I think the axe fx is very versatile and the modeling is the best available on the market. The tones and effects are stellar and give you lots of tonal options. While you can get very close to the real deal for mimicing amps, its just not the same.

I have taken my rig which consists of a Mesa Mark IV over to there practice are to jam, test and tweak tones. Overall the mark IV wins in the clarity and tone and they agree. There is an overall Fizz sound with the digital stuff that you dont have with a real tube amp, plus the tube just feels different and super responsive, and for me that is key.

I really wanted an Axe-fx awhile back but ended up getting the Mark IV instead and looking back on the decision I am glad I got what i did. If i played in a cover band an Axe-fx would be a no brainer and a must. I am still kicking around the idea of getting an axe-fx for studio recording use, where i would get the most out of it.

I do think the Axe-fx is killer and have heard some amazing tones from it, but I would constantly be tweaking which equals less playing, and My Mark IV is perfect for my needs and wants.

reilly said:
There is an overall Fizz sound with the digital stuff that you dont have with a real tube amp, plus the tube just feels different and super responsive, and for me that is key.
^
WHAT HE SAID!

+1

Even with 24 bit DAC signals on all these high end products, you will experience some fizz if you use them as stand alone.
Basic digital sampling theorem limitation. pre-amp tubes..thats where all the distortion and clipping is "essentially generated" ...and those are analog signals...you can't get better than that. Ideally, they say with 24 Bit encoding and decoding, you shouldn't be able to hear the difference...while its true to quite a large extent, you will still notice the difference no matter what. Youtube should help you make the best decision.

This seems like a "comparison" between digital and analog. What I have used is a combination of both. I use my mark 4 and have a digital effect (Line 6 M13) run through the loop of the amp. I feel the responsiveness of the mark 4 and clarity since the guitar is plugged direct, then the reverb, chorus, delays, etc are added after the preamp stage. It seems you can get the best of both worlds with this set up. However, I am only able to use the "voice" of a mark 4 as opposed to modeling amps offered by axe-fx. Same thing with my Triaxis/290, i have the G force set up in the loop of the triaxis, although one time, i completely removed the G force from the rack and just played Tri/290, the sound was phenomenal, but no reverb, so practicality wins.

^ Agreed.

I run a BOSS GT10 in the loop of my MARK V for compressor/tubescreamer/time effects/noise gate...makes no sense to turn on the mic/amp/cab sims.

Anyways..but...stark difference if you used only the digital amp modeller / axefx/what have you. My mark V sings like a banshee with the GT10.

Currently i have Boss GT8. When i have a mark v, i ll use it with 4CM. If i dont have to sell it i think i ll trade it with an axe-fx ultra(or like this).

So i m planning to buy a mark v combo!

after buying a mark v combo, next plan is maybe buying an axe-fx ultra. Or an analog setup. (pedal setup)
but if axe fx sounds better than building an analog setup i ll prefer axe-fx. (for same price)

thanks.

More questions :) ,

is there really a huge difference between mark iv lead and mark v third channel? I ve listened videos at Youtube but i didnt notice big difference. Maybe after more videos about mark v ( especially dream theater, petrucci songs) and i can choose easily. Because i ve listened a lot of DT covers played with mark iv and very impressed. I think i ll impress when i listened mark v but still i dont know.

what is the amp model on gt8 (and gt10) named as boogie lead, rhythm and clean?

Thanks a lot.

archimonde said:
More questions :) ,

is there really a huge difference between mark iv lead and mark v third channel? I ve listened videos at Youtube but i didnt notice big difference. Maybe after more videos about mark v ( especially dream theater, petrucci songs) and i can choose easily. Because i ve listened a lot of DT covers played with mark iv and very impressed. I think i ll impress when i listened mark v but still i dont know.

what is the amp model on gt8 (and gt10) named as boogie lead, rhythm and clean?

Thanks a lot.

Yes. I'd say there is a huge difference. You can get comparable sounds from both. The way I see it, the Mark IV lead channel is warmer and more vintage sounding. The FIVE is great but less sub-low and more modern sounding to my ears.

I've had a Mark IV for about ten years now, and although it's my favorite tube amp it's been sitting idle lately because I recently got an Axe-Fx Ultra. I now have a whole slew of amps & cabs I'll be selling in the near future (possibly even the Mark IV) because this thing is just crazy good. The idea that I have over 70 great amps & over 90 great efx in a single box is just mind boggling. Add to that the fact that the firmware gets updated fairly regularly with new amps & efx (many owners describe it as christmas several times a year), and it was just to good to resist.

BTW, John Petrucci as well as several other big name pros are featured on Fractal Audios home page as now being Axe-Fx users.

Latest posts

Back