The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikeymike said:
The mesa is a better deal if you're telling someone who doesn't have any cabs dude. But if you already have the crate cab then it's cheaper to get the speakers.

I don't think the OP said that he had a Crate cab.

I was under the impression that he was looking for a complete cab, not a speaker upgrade.

But...I've been wrong about these things before.

"One main difference between the Avatar and say like a Marshall and possibly mesa is that the Celestion speakers used in the Avatars are made in China."

That's an interesting point. How do you know which is which. Are they marked on the back of the speaker? I just went and looked at an V30 I purchased from Avatar about two years ago and it says Ipswitch, Southhampton,England on it but I've read on other posts that they are indeed made in China.

sixtonoize said:
mikeymike said:
The mesa is a better deal if you're telling someone who doesn't have any cabs dude. But if you already have the crate cab then it's cheaper to get the speakers.

I don't think the OP said that he had a Crate cab.

I was under the impression that he was looking for a complete cab, not a speaker upgrade.

But...I've been wrong about these things before.

I'd say you're probably right but he never mentioned if he had a cab or not. Even if he didn't I was replying to you. Not him.

So you're arguing about things that are off topic simply for the sake of arguing?

Good deal.

troll.jpg

I personally am in the market for a 2x12 and I have been reading and searching and researching for the right deal. there is something to be said about all three of the cabs mentioned.
the boogie and the avatar cabs are made very well, and use simular materials, I have seen marshall cabs made of crappy mfd wich is heavy as hell and really doesnt help the sound much either.
as far as value goes the boogies have top resale value, marshall would be next and lastly avatar. so if you got a boogie used, you could probably get that money back if you didnt like it or ever needed to get rid of it.
I beleive all of the v30's are made in china now and every review I have read about the china version has stated that there is no sonic difference between the two.
......my two sense!

cb101 said:
"One main difference between the Avatar and say like a Marshall and possibly mesa is that the Celestion speakers used in the Avatars are made in China."

That's an interesting point. How do you know which is which. Are they marked on the back of the speaker? I just went and looked at an V30 I purchased from Avatar about two years ago and it says Ipswitch, Southhampton,England on it but I've read on other posts that they are indeed made in China.

On the Avatar website it says they are purchased from the China factory. There is supposed to be an indicator on the speaker as well. Maybe the one you have was actually made in England. Maybe at the time he was buying english made. I don't know when the China factory opened, so maybe it was not in production when you bought yours. I just know that if you bought an avatar today, you would be getting Chinese made speakers.

I did a search and came up with this quote on another forum that was discussing Chinese Celestion's. Thought it might be interesting to some of you.

“Dave is certainly someone who likes to talk, isn't he? If you ever spend time with him on the phone, he'll tell you all sorts of interesting things. He's a premier salesman.

My recollection of the time frame for the move to China is not 6 years, but then time flies doesn't it? Maybe I've had one of my projects back-burnered for longer than I had thought. How embarrassing!

I guess I could Google for press releases, or go on a hunt for my receipts, or examine my new and old speakers for date codes, but I don't feel the need to do that to convince myself that what I have is what I have. I have two pair of V30: a pair of new Chinese, and a pair of NOS/NIB Ipswitch that have never been mounted, and sat in their the original single-unit brown corrugated paper boxes for a great many years.

If you read the various guitar-oriented boards on the web, you'll hear all sorts of stories and opinions about UK vs. Chinese Celestions. Most A/B comparisons have been impaired by the fact that people were typically trying to compare used UK speakers to new China speakers. Because I just back-burnered one of my speaker projects for way too long, I ended up with a unique opportunity to compare original, never mounted, NOS and still-in-the-sealed-box UK V30 to new Chinese production V30. Here's how we did the test:

Both sets of V30 were mounted in identical 2x12 cabs that were purchased from Avatar at the same time. Both sets of speakers were broken-in with pre-recorded programming at ear-splitting SPL for 48 continuous hours; both cabs were attached to a mono HiFi amp that played each of the following CDs for 12 hours each: Led Zeppelin's BBC sessions, Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers, RHCP's Blood Surgar Sex Magik, and AC/DC's Back in Black. After 48 hours of hammering in "the booth," the speakers were considered "broken-in" and we performed "live" testing with guitars and amps.

The test guitars included a Teles, Strats, and LPs equipped with P-90s and Burstbuckers. Amps included a Mesa Mk IV, a vintage Plexi, a 5F6 bassman clone, and several other miscellaneous amps including various Champs, Deluxes and whatnot. While one person played, someone else used an A/B switch to switch the cabs back and forth between the speakers so that the identity of the speakers wasn't known to the player.

None of the players was able to tell the speakers apart using blinded tests. The UK and China V30 were indistinguishable at every volume level, with every amp and guitar combination we tried. Doing blinded A/B tests, no player has ever been able to reliably discern between the two. The only thing about the UK/Chinese speakers that appears different is a subtle change in the label (Ipswitch England is present on the UK speakers vs. absent on the Chinese), and the box they came in.

That's the result of our littke A/B experiment that we did with the old and new V30. We controlled as many variables as we could (including the speakers' playing history) and found that when they've been broken in the same way, the speakers were sonically indistinguishable. (This was part of a bigger test that also compared some of the Eminence Red Coats to Celestions, and we noticed some definite differences there. I only mention this to show that I'm not totally tone-deaf and that I can hear differences in some speakers!)

I don't sell speakers, so I don't have anything to gain by telling stories that aren't true. The good news from our little experiment is that anyone who's interested in a V30 doesn't have to spend their time and money trying to find the UK version. The China speaker is the same speaker. The only difference is that it doesn't say Ipswitch England on the label.”

sixtonoize said:
So you're arguing about things that are off topic simply for the sake of arguing?

Good deal.

No I was responding to you. You're the one trolling. Was that image appropriate? You're trying to get me to respond by provoking me. That is considered trolling in my book.

Well that was interesting about the Chinese vs. English made speakers. I guess the Avatar would be a good choice then! If you cannot tell the difference, then why pay a ton more for the same thing?

cb101 said:
...I don't sell speakers, so I don't have anything to gain by telling stories that aren't true. The good news from our little experiment is that anyone who's interested in a V30 doesn't have to spend their time and money trying to find the UK version. The China speaker is the same speaker. The only difference is that it doesn't say Ipswitch England on the label.”
Oh yeah...well...who collected the chinese sample from the factory? They probably fudged the sample from the normal assembly line for higher quality "handmade" samples. :roll: :lol:

how does anyone really know how much time Mesa actually puts into their
cabs?!?!?!?
I'm sure they have a supermarket for however many cabs they have to have in stock at any time..
So when their is a demand when they run low, I'm sure they have to kinda "rush" things, so therefore quality goes down slightly.

Anyway I f you have the money..match the cabs to your Mesa
if not get an avatar...

Got the Avatar cab with two Hellatone 30s (G12H) and two Hellatone 60s (Vintage 30s) in stereo, and I have to say I'm very happy. Tone for days. Also, I highly recommend the Hellatones as well.

celestion only makes a couple models of speakers in england still and the v30's are not one of them. I think they are the alnico speakers. I forget on which forum the info was posted, but it was from a good source.

If you hear a difference it's
A) because you wanted to
B) one was broken in differently or not at all vs the other.
C) no two speakers sound identical

Back