• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Auction for 2 EVM 12L's in Calif

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am thinking 4...my 2x12 has 2 celestion vintage 30's in it that are 16ohms each, and the cab is 8ohms. so i am thinking that 2 8ohm speakers would make it 4ohms.

isnt it the same way with cabs? 2 8ohm cabs makes it 4ohms load out of the amp?

can someone please verify this info?

this is the only thing i am concerned about with these speakers, as i want to know what i am building if i get them and want it to be compatible with all my other equipment.

Wired in parallel two 8 ohm speakers will be 4 ohms. Wired in series two 8 ohm speakers will be 16 ohms. If you want to use more than one cab, wire them in series and two 16 ohm cabs plugged in together will be 8 ohms. Hope this helps.

I just got home.
it was a double trip...met some guy from san diego and sold him one of my Recto 4x12's, and then went to get the speakers.

got em home, and my Voltmeter reads 5.3-5.4

now am i doing this right?

i set it on ohms, 200. (it's a cheapo craftsman i bought from sears for like $12).

so what do i have here?
4ohm speakers? or 8ohm?
there are no markings on them except for the stamping as seen in the ebay ad, that says they are the oem evm-12L's.
oem on the box, electro-voice sticker and evm series II in the box. he said he bought them in 1983 for a project and never built them.
the look brand new.

but what are they ohm's wise? will i even be able to use them? I was planning on heading to Pacific radio tomorrow to pick up the jack and wiring so i can toss them in my Mesa Recto 2x12 cab. but i dont want to burn out my new Stiletto Deuce by plugging them into the wrong output. if these are going to be considered 4ohms, then i will have a 2 ohm cab? or what someone said about series, would that make them an 8ohm cab?? (which i am fine with!).
and I dont understand the difference in the wiring...these speakers have a red and black POST that you depress and place the wire into. i thought all i had to do was get a jack and solder the wire to the jack and pop the other end into the speakers and i was done. what makes it parallel or series?? soldering both wires to the same places or???

help with the ohm's reading please.

I don't know what I'm doing here!

:shock:

The speaker's impedance is different than the resistance, which is what you are measuring with the VOM. 5.6 would be an 8 ohm load taking into account the physical resistance of the speaker to inductance (sounds like I know what I am talking about! :D ). If you want a 4 ohm cabinet you will wire these in parallel. Run a wire from each of the red terminals on the speakers (2 wires) to the hot (tip) of the jack. Run a wire from each of the black terminals to the ground (sleeve) of the jack. Use the clips on the speakers as intended, tin your leads and poke them in there.

If you decide to run them in series (16 ohms), run a wire from the hot terminal of the jack to the red on the first speaker. Run a wire from the black on the first speaker to the red on the second speaker. Run a wire from the black on the second speaker to the ground terminal on the jack. Done deal. A pair of 16 ohm cabs run in parallel (both plugged into the same amp) will have an 8 ohm load. Better?

thanks.

now the decision has to come down to 16ohms or 4 ohms then.

any recommendations?

I am thinking 4 at the moment...as i will be using this with either my Stiletto Deuce head, which has 2 8ohm, and 2 4ohm outputs...figuring 4ohm to 4ohm, rather than safe mismatch, 16 to 8.
but then i am limiting myself aren't i? then i will make it somewhat unsafe to use the big 4x12 8ohm cab and the 2x12 4ohm cab?
or not so?

i also have a 16ohm marshall 1960a. so if i go 4ohms, this would be my only 4ohm cab.

thanks for the clear wiring description you wrote up...it makes things sound much easier...
just need that decision for 16 or 4...

Going lower than 4 ohms by running both your cabs will accelerate wear on your output tubes. Going 16 ohms out of the 8 ohm jack will harm nothing and allow you more choices of cabs to run.

I run all of my EVM12L's cabinets at 8 ohms from the amp even though the cab reads 5.3 ohms. I think 8 ohm tap sounds better than the 4 ohm tap as well 8)

Latest posts

Back