Attenuator for Mark V - bedroom player

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do attenuators suck tone? i have never tried one before but I have heard they did. Depends on brands maybe? The whole intention would be (for me anyways) to get that high volume tone at low volumes but if it's gunna suck tone i always thought why bother. Is there a trade off some where?

satch4u3 said:
Do attenuators suck tone? i have never tried one before but I have heard they did. Depends on brands maybe? The whole intention would be (for me anyways) to get that high volume tone at low volumes but if it's gunna suck tone i always thought why bother. Is there a trade off some where?
I only have direct experience of the THD, so can only comment first hand on that model, and find that with a decent output level on the amp up to 12db cut is fine - hardly any noticeable tone difference in a live/rehearsal situation. There are much more expensive options out there which may cope better with higher levels of attenuation.

anytime you're reducing your power, or changing your output ratio, you will have some kind of tone change for less or better YMMV.

sometimes, like i said, i like the power tube response of my amp on 10 watts with maximum attenuation....yes, the amp changes and responds differently, but, you dont have to use it so drastically. it's all in how you want to use it, and what tone you're looking for.

for me, it just varies the tonal options already at my disposal and that's what i use it for.

i've tried the power brake and the hotplate. i like the power plug that i linked to...it worked the best, and was the cheapest, which is always a plus.

i bought the 8 ohm one and use it in 8 ohms with my amp with no issues whatsoever.
the only thing you can do is try the one you want, and then resell it if you dont like it...the retain resale value from what i gather.

I replaced the speaker in my 5:50 with an Eminence Maverick attenuating speaker. It lowers the volume 9 decibles with very minimal change in tone. It was also an improvement over the stock MC90. You might try one of the attenuating speakers out, they run about $150.

My view on an attenuator is a little different. It really helps on ch2 crunch/edge mode and ch1 tweed. A little bit of that power tube break up makes the amp sing. You can use el34s which breakup quicker. Preamp distortion is quite different sounding, but very nice especially in ch.3.

I'm using a weber mass.

Latest posts

Back