asked a 100 times but....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan28

Reaction score
Hey guys im getting ready to do my first retube with my roadking II, what namebrand tubes should i go with??? Mesa stock? Ruby's? or what, any help would be great.

ask 100 times and probably get 50 different answers.

It's personal pref. I like JJs and also I like Mesa / Sovtek / EH tubes. Personally, I like Rubys the least.

I'm not a big fan of the JJ's. They're too dark for my taste. While some people bash the tone of Mesa tubes, they have always been rock solid for me. I just retubed my Roadster with Grove Tubes GT6L6-R2's (same as SED =C=) and they sound great, but were a little pricey.

FYI, Mesa will only honor your warranty if you're running their tubes or Groove Tubes rated between 4 and 7 (if that's important to you).

Best of luck!

G.I.G. said:
I'm not a big fan of the JJ's. They're too dark for my taste. While some people bash the tone of Mesa tubes, they have always been rock solid for me. I just retubed my Roadster with Grove Tubes GT6L6-R2's (same as SED =C=) and they sound great, but were a little pricey.

FYI, Mesa will only honor your warranty if you're running their tubes or Groove Tubes rated between 4 and 7 (if that's important to you).

Best of luck!

True that!

That's a tricky one with the RK since your dealing with the Progressive linkage.

Like Gear-Monkey said, you'll get a ton of different opinions. If your still under Warranty might I add this opinion...

Power Section...
My local tech Prefered Mesa 6L6's over other power tube combinations over the years. I too have had good luck with them. They don't void your warranty.

I have my 2 Ch DR Loaded with Groove Tube EL34LS's. Now you would only be running two with the Progressive Linkage but I pull two and a rectifier tube around the house and they sound great. Mine were rated for 7 and I wish a I went a little lower in the rating. They have an expanded bottom end but still add the mid rangy feel of traditional EL's. In theory I think they'd work great when paired with the 6L6's.

Preamps...
I have tried Sovtek, Groove Tube Silver, Gold, and Stock Mesa preamps. I've found the Groove Tube Silver to be the warmest/richest. I have heard of reliability issues with this particular series but I never had a problem. They made vintage sound absolutely fluid. Currently I run the Gold Series C. I'm sure they are similar in construction to the Mesa tubes (if not the samae) but for some reason they just feel and sound better.

The thing I like about Groove Tube is you can pick em up just about anywhere.

Just my .02

I've had great luck with my Groove Tubes 6L6GEs. I have a mix of NOS/plain OS 12AX7s including Mullard, GE, and some german tube but I can't tell the company.

haha void your warranty? did mesa extend their warranty without me noticing? last time i checked it was a year - and you might retube once during the active warranty period IF you gig with your amp a lot.

The Mesa warranty is 6 months on tubes, 3 years on speaker, and 5 years on the rest. The ENTIRE warranty is voided if you use tubes other than Mesa approved - not just the warranty on tubes (at least, that's the way I read the contract).

insideout said:
The Mesa warranty is 6 months on tubes, 3 years on speaker, and 5 years on the rest. The ENTIRE warranty is voided if you use tubes other than Mesa approved - not just the warranty on tubes (at least, that's the way I read the contract).

I think this is right.

Which I don't agree with Mesa's tactics. That's like Diamler Chrysler saying that you have to use Mopar oil every oil change or your car's warranty will void.

If it was me sending it in, they would just know :lol:

I'd rather just stay with Mesa tubes until the warranty is over. I realize that the chances anything happening are pretty small, but I don't have the dough to take the risk.

Having used Mesa Boogie Amps for 20+ years I have to say that Mesa Boogie tubes are as good as any I've tried, and I've tried them all. Every set sounds a little different, but that is what pure analog sound is about, right?

I agree with Mesa's warranty restrictions though. If you put crappy mismatched tubes in their amp, why should they warranty it if something happens to the tubes and something fries?

Granted, it's a little of the "you have to buy from us" thing, but MB 6L6 tubes are only $42 a pair at Guitar Center so it's not a major investment, like your AMP was.

abraxas said:
Having used Mesa Boogie Amps for 20+ years I have to say that Mesa Boogie tubes are as good as any I've tried, and I've tried them all. Every set sounds a little different, but that is what pure analog sound is about, right?

I agree with Mesa's warranty restrictions though. If you put crappy mismatched tubes in their amp, why should they warranty it if something happens to the tubes and something fries?

Granted, it's a little of the "you have to buy from us" thing, but MB 6L6 tubes are only $42 a pair at Guitar Center so it's not a major investment, like your AMP was.

+1 Tubes can cause much damage

Food for thought, Mesa started the "Mesa Tubes Only" thing to provide the average joe musician the ability to service his amp without a Tech. Back in the day, (At least in my part of the woods) there wasn't a lot of hoopla about tubes. You just bought them and put them in. No warranty. You rolled the dice and you took your chance. R. Smith not only came out with some high powered combos, but also provided tubes that you could just plug in and play, with a six month warranty. I think that the over- saturation of internet information about tubes is making players a bit wacky. The safest and most significant tone change would be the speakers.

Latest posts

Back