Are MK V Combo and Head Voiced the Same?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtroska

Reaction score
Does anybody know for sure if the Mesa/Boogie MK 5 amp is voiced exactly the same in both the combo and head formats? In other words, if I played the MK 5 head into an open 1x12, would it sound the same as the combo?

I'm thinking I may go with a head version. But I'd probably use it with a small, open 1x12 about 50% of the time.

So why a head? Because the other half of the time, my band opens for headliners that graciously allow me to use their cabinets. So I just bring a head and plug into the provided cabinets.

But when we're not doing that, we typically play small cramped bars where a big closed cabinet is too directional and too loud. I like open cabinets that spread the sound more evenly in small places with no monitors.

But some amps are designed with a different voicing for each format optimized for either open or closed cabinets.

Just wondering what to expect from the different MK 5 formats.

Pros for combo:
Smaller
more portable

Pros for head:
Might be less microphonic at loud levels..combos tubes and what not are inside the speaker cab...thus they are subjected to more vibrations...however...it might not be such an issue with Mesas...it was with my Marshall JVM, but Mesa is so much better built

More mix and matching with speaker cabs (open back, 3/4 back, 4x12, other brands, etc) You can do this with a combo but the rig might look a little retarded, I guess..you could always go 1x12 widebody thiele cab and match it with a combo...doesn't look stupid (if that matters) and I've heard it sounds freaking bad ace, especially with an EVM12L speaker

Personally I like both...I have an empty combo cab that came with my MKV...and I bought a separate empty head shell from Mesa and installed the amp there

I initially went for the combo since it was the only thing siting on the floor begging me to bring it home. Two out of 4 power tubes and the rectifier tube were functionnal but rattling. I changed them all at no cost it helped a lot but was still there nothing else was rattling. Extremely good built I woukd say. It was especialy noticeable at low volume on clean (FAT mode). I gave up and returned it to get a head. Best thing I ever did. I now use a 2x12. The combo is about 68 lbs and a head is 45 lbs. I much prefer 2 trips than 68 lbs in one shot. The combo will make you swear if you're parked 1000 feet and have to go up a second floor. Forget those small wheels on old asphalt not got of vacuum tubes! No rant just my story.

The head and combo are the exact same chassis. The head even has one speaker out labeled 'combo'.

I used to be a combo guy, but I've gotten used to freedom of cab choice and lighter weights.

I've been tossing around the idea of going with a combo for my next Mesa purchase. I'd still play it through my 2x12 recto cab most the time but it would be a great grab and go amp for quick practice jams and low volume stuff. And come on guys, they aren't that heavy. I can see your vaginas from here. :lol:

ryjan said:
I've been tossing around the idea of going with a combo for my next Mesa purchase. I'd still play it through my 2x12 recto cab most the time but it would be a great grab and go amp for quick practice jams and low volume stuff. And come on guys, they aren't that heavy. I can see your vaginas from here. :lol:

I'm a skinny-*** old dude and Mark combos (especialy with EVM's) are too f-ing heavy. I'm with MusicManJP6. Want to grab and go? Get a 1x12 - or better yet, get two.

Nermel said:
MusicManJP6 said:
Nermel said:
haha yeah and they DO have casters...so no excuse now

Casters suck tone. Honest! Your bass response disappears!

OK...I'm talking about moving the thing

I know, but it's a pain to have to tilt it on it's back and remove them, etc. Casters don't help getting it in and out of a car!

LPJunky said:
The combo is about 68 lbs and a head is 45 lbs.
My friend just got a MK 5 head and we were chatting through FaceBook about it. He claims his head is 65lbs! :eek: That was almost a deal-breaker for me. I figured I was better off sticking with my old lightweight solid-state amp.

Are you sure the head is only 45lbs? That's only a little heavier than my solid state head.

Pretty sure. I weigthed the thing myself. In addition it compares to my 2x12 THD cab which is 49 lbs on the specs sheet. I previously returned the Mk V combo that I weighted at 68 lbs on the same scale. Both times I had the amp in my arms. The combo which was still ligther than a fender twin at 80 lbs. So the head has to be around 45 lbs give or take a couple of pounds without a doubt. It is significantly lighter than the combo for one but since its smaller its much easier to carry than a combo of the same weight.

LPJunky said:
Pretty sure. I weigthed the thing myself.
Maybe my friend was going by shipping weight--Meaning the total weight he paid for to have it shipped in all the packaging. Who knows.

Thanks for the info. But now I have the G.A.S. again! :wink:

LPJunky said:
I initially went for the combo since it was the only thing siting on the floor begging me to bring it home. Two out of 4 power tubes and the rectifier tube were functionnal but rattling. I changed them all at no cost it helped a lot but was still there nothing else was rattling. Extremely good built I woukd say. It was especialy noticeable at low volume on clean (FAT mode). I gave up and returned it to get a head. Best thing I ever did. I now use a 2x12. The combo is about 68 lbs and a head is 45 lbs. I much prefer 2 trips than 68 lbs in one shot. The combo will make you swear if you're parked 1000 feet and have to go up a second floor. Forget those small wheels on old asphalt not got of vacuum tubes! No rant just my story.

At this point, if I get one, I'll be going with the head based on your's, Nermel's, and my own experiences.

I used to have a cheap Peavy tube combo that always gave me problems and I suspect they were caused by vibrations. Of course, it wasn't built as well as Mesa/Boogies seem to be. But even my friend's Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo was howling from microphonics all the time.

this may be a stupid question, but why should it be voiced differently? obviously it's not, but when would that even make sense?

the fact that you can swap back and forth between head and combo cab indicates it should be the same.

also, mesa quoted me $450 or so for the head cab. is there a better option out there? i'd like to swap it, but unless there's someone who wants to just trade combo for head cab, i'm not interested in paying even more.

Its the same amp so if you use it with an exactly identical speaker the difference will come from the different box geometry. You probably can get darn close with an appropriate open 1x12" cab. The thread has drifted somewhat to discuss the other issues concerning other pros and cons of onwning one or the other. :oops:

I've used the Mark IV combo with a Thiele cab since 1991. Despite playing regularly at high volumes with abundant bass response, I haven't had any problems with rattle or premature tube wear. The combo/cab pair make for a loud, versatile, and easily moved and set-up guitar amp. If I purchase a Mark V, I'm planning to get a combo and matching widebody theile cab. Just my two cents.

Latest posts

Back