Are Mesa Recto's only good for a nu-metal tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bermuda_

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a question to ask you all regarding the tone of the Mesa Recto amp series.

I've been reading a lot of reviews on this amp on the net from other people claiming that this amp is only good for playing Nu-metal. Now I know in the past many Nu-metal bands have used the Recto's example Korn, Godsmack, System of a Down, just to name a few.

But having said that their have also been many other bands out there who aren't Nu-metal and have used the Recto at some point in there music career example Nevermore, Buckethead, Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend, Killswitch Engage, Cannibal Corpse.

So what do you think yourself guys?

No. When I think of Rectos, I think of everything from nu-metal, to modern metal, thrash, modern rock, alternative and grunge, etc...I've even seen some country bands using them. Lindsey Buckingham was using Tremoverbs with Fleetwood Mac a good bit in the 90's. Definitely not just a nu-metal amp.

The Rectifiers can pull off any style. I myself play pretty everything. Jazz, classical, rock, blues, all the way to some pretty heavy prog metal. My DR has no troubles offering me the sounds I need now, and that ill need down the road.

One thing that shocks me, is that you get rectifier owners, who have had them for years, and all they do is play metal on them. Then years later ill read from them "I finally decided to try another channel and play something other than metal and this amp just sounds amazing!" Really? I think its those same people who are stuck on the same style and channel who are the ones saying its only good at one thing, seeing how its the only thing they know.

The ignorance in someone saying the amp is only good for nu-metal, makes me want to slap them.

:oops: I agree.It`s created for all styles from gently rock to brutal extreme shred.I can tell you I`m only Recto player in my area.There is lot of hard core metal death/grind bands but all use Peaveys Crates or Marshalls and they all hate Mesa Recto coz as they say it`s Nu metal amp as good just for teenagers.Bullshit.Truth is that last saturday we played together 5 metal bands in local rock club and the same people told me that I had most brutal tone that night.That`s funny :lol:

Incubus
Foo Fighters
Jason Aldean
Garth Brooks
Dream Theater

Those are just a few of the non-nu metal bands I can think of from the top of my head that use Rectos. People who say an amp is only good for one genre of music do not know how to work that amp. I can take my setup and do pretty much any kind of music I want with it. You just have to know what you're doing.

Testament,Napalm Death,Cannibal Corpse,Nasum and many more.......I think almost bands if they don`t use rectos on stage they use them in studio. 8)

mikey383 said:
Incubus
Foo Fighters
Jason Aldean
Garth Brooks
Dream Theater

Those are just a few of the non-nu metal bands I can think of from the top of my head that use Rectos. People who say an amp is only good for one genre of music do not know how to work that amp. I can take my setup and do pretty much any kind of music I want with it. You just have to know what you're doing.

+1
Tool, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains (Jerry uses just about everything in the studio but I still listed it), Chris Haskett of Rollins band, Alter Bridge, Collective Soul (I think)...

They can do whatever you want them to. The trick is learning to dial it in. I work as a recording tech and i dial in a good sound on any Marshall and Recto in 5 minutes. On my own Recto i can spend 2 hours tweaking a rythm sound...easy...Not because it's hard to get a good tone, but because you're so **** close to perfect all the time! When you know what you want it's just a matter of time and patience until you find it...And if you don't you're using the wrong speakers in you cab!

A millimeter of more or less gain effects the whole eq and it's really easy to turn the tweaking into an obsession, so be careful! Me...I love it!

Yea I think that the Roadking is a little unfair to compare to this topic but all you need to do is play with the knobs, get into trying other pre amp tubes, power tubes and you will see that YOU are the master of the amp... not the other way around.

Im proud to say that I have not even touched my knobs in over a month because Im finally dialed in for what Im doing at the moment.

The Dual Rectifier is one of the most versatile amps ever designed, and anyone who thinks it's only good for nu-metal has either never played one, never tried to dial in a tone on one, or just doesn't have a clue. It does have an image problem (mainly caused by the deckplate panel I think) but you can use one for anything from jazz to metal and any point in between if you want. Saying it's only good for nu-metal is like saying that a Fender Twin is only good for surf or a Vox AC30 is only good if you want to sound like the Beatles.

I use my Tremoverb - which is a 2-channel Dual Rectifier with reverb and tremolo if you haven't come across one - for everything I play, and I don't play nu-metal, old-school metal or even any kind of hard rock. I bought it because it's the best-sounding, most flexible amp I've ever heard, period. Jeff Buckley and Peter Buck (REM) used them too, as well as Mike Einziger (Incubus).

As another Tremoverb owner I can tell you the non-supersaturated and clean sounds on the amp are surprising. Plus the amp comes with voicings for blues overdrive and clean. You can certainly use it for other styles that aren't as hard driving.

It covers a ton of ground and in a lot of ways could be the only amp I need. But you always need at least one spare, right?

Yes, I have a Blue Angel and a V-Twin pedal - together they can get quite close to the Tremoverb sound, considering it's a completely different amp. The Blue Angel is nice because it weighs half what the Tremoverb does! And the V-Twin can be DI'd if necessary, so I have a *lot* of bases covered with just three pieces of gear. The Blue Angel still says Dual Rectifier on the front too, which is important. (For frightening people who think they only do nu-metal, mostly...) :)

The DR Road King II is certainly one of the most versatile amps Mesa/Boogie has ever made. It should also be pointed out that Lindsay Buckingham plays Rectos, too.

But read my in-depth review of the RK II and you'll find that it's well suited to a lot more than just metal, and its clean channel circuit was lifted right out of the Lone Star.

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

Scott

I sold mine but I really liked how it sounded you rolled back the gain. You can get a nice ACDC sound out of it and the cleans are pretty good too.

The thinking that a Recto is only good for one thing is like the old business school proverb, "If the only management tool you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like nail".

Back