Anyone's old mesa smell like its burning?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtomesa

Reaction score
Not the burning smell you get from matches or an open fire, kind of like a stale smell like dust burning.

I completely took apart my mark III, cleaned all the surfaces with a sponge (cause believe me, this thing was insanely dusty, it had this orange dust all over the amp, I first thought the power tubes were gold tinted!! :shock: ).

I took a look inside to see if the pcb was fried or if any of the caps were leaking, but no dice. Everything looks to be in tip top shape.

Evey time I fire it up and that fan gets going, it smells bad :? .

Any clues/remedies? Also, I thought I should mention that the amp does not get overly hot, it feels warm completely within reason.
Thanks!

You might be smelling dust burning.
When you wiped things down with the damp sponge yo umay have left a residue albeit thin of dust mud that turned into a faint hazing. This will still burn and smell bad. I would check to be sure that nothing has fallen into the fan or that the fan isn't itself burning up. Sometimes the brushes in a fan may start to go bad and you will get a bad smell.

I did pry open the fan to clean the bearings with contact cleaners, I did not notice any foreign objects or any smell coming from it.

I just realized I still have a few of the original preamp tubes in the amp which, although wiped down, are potentially still dusty. I'll know when my new tubes come in (in a day or two).

Thanks for the fan idea though, i may have missed something. If the new tubes don't fix the problem, I may look into a new fan.

Back