Anyone using EL-34/6L6 combo in 2:90?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EOengineer

Reaction score
So I am totally stoked after hearing that I can, in fact, run a combination of EL-34's and 6L6's in my Simul 2:90. While I do like the roundness of 6L6's, I really dig the tighter response and "crunchy" mids and highs of the EL34's.

I want to try this out, but I would first like to actually find someone who is using this configuration. Anyone? Opinions? Ideas?

I was just about to start a thread on this.... I have my 2:90 at mesa right now and I would like to run el-34s in it - do I need to have them do anything to it so I can do this? Any and all input is appreciated!

I spoke with Rich over at Mesa repair today and he stated that their techs are pretty much against doing a mod to run el34s in the 2:90. He said the techs said el34s run at a high current and "the transformers in the 2:90 wouldn't like it very much." Basically, I couldn't even get a quote out of him b/c they didn't want to do it. They were saying that el34s are less reliable, but he didn't clearly specify if he meant in general or more unreliable in a 2:90. So.... that the word from Mesa on that issue. I guess I'll be sticking w/ the 6L6 setup.... which is too bad b/c I think el34s sound great in my rectifier.

Anyone have thoughts on this?? Is it something that is actually done and Mesa just doesn't want to give the nod to do it?

You can run a combination of EL34s with the 6L6s in all 2:90 power amps (to my knowledge). You just can't run all EL34s.

The EL34s go in the Class A sockets and the 6L6s in the ClassAB sockets.

There have been other threads on the subject before.

The 2:90 is basically two Mark IV power sections. I run this combination of power tubes in my Mark IV and really like how it sounds. It is really easy to do an A/B test to see the differences for yourself with your rig. Just make sure not to burn yourself.

Can I just chime in and say, why can't the 2:100 do that simul class thing? Maybe I just shoulda bought a 2:90.

again with this said:
Can I just chime in and say, why can't the 2:100 do that simul class thing? Maybe I just shoulda bought a 2:90.

or a 295. :D

DSC02421.jpg

DSC02418.jpg

EdgeOfDarkness said:
again with this said:

or a 295. :D

DSC02421.jpg

DSC02418.jpg

Man, that thins is a monster. If I was going to have something that big, I'd be looking for a coleseum 300 or strategy 500. Probably Strategy. Or maybe VHT 2150.

Hi Guys,

Have any of you guys see or heard the Randall RT2/50.

Sorry I know it's not a Mesa, but!!!!

It has CH- A 2 x EL34 one side and CH-B 2 x 6L6 on the other, and now get this.

It is only 50/50, much better to drive it harder.

Here's the Killer It's midi programmable, so one patch can be CH A then it can then switch to Ch B. All controllable via your midi.

You can also Bias it yourself on the back, so if you want to run it a bit hotter you can.

Best of all you can run Switchable or Both CH-A and CH-B at the same time

I hope I didn't offend any Mesa Die hards here.

To me if it's a good idea, it's a good idea.

Gezza.

meemawuk said:
Haha 2:95 AND a quad! That's alotta rack space!

Yeah I am looking for a shock rack with castors... :D
It's built heavier than the 2:90..but its the price to pay for better transformers..etc
Plus it came stock with EL-34's and the 6L6's.

EdgeOfDarkness said:
meemawuk said:
Haha 2:95 AND a quad! That's alotta rack space!

Yeah I am looking for a shock rack with castors... :D
It's built heavier than the 2:90..but its the price to pay for better transformers..etc
Plus it came stock with EL-34's and the 6L6's.

It looks badass anyway. On the other hand, I dont fancy carrying that to gigs.

Latest posts

Back