Anyone using Class A/Simul-Class switch for solo boost ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm picking up my Mark 4 on Saturday (can't wait !) but I've got a couple of questions in the meantime. First, is it practical to use the Class A/Simul-Class switch for a solo boost ? (This is in case I end up having the graphic permanently assigned as I used to on my DC-3.)

That's exactly what I did for a long time with my Mark IV. It provides just enough of a solo boost. The problem I had is that this scenario means that you use Class-A the majority of the time and Simul-Class sounds so much better... especially when gigging I had to figure something else out because I never wanted to switch back to Class-A after a solo.

If you can find rhythm tones that you like without the EQ in, you can use the eq button on the footswitch for a solo boost. This works out well because used this way, the EQ can be used as a boost for any channel. Almost like having 6 channels instead of 3.

Killtone said:
If you can find rhythm tones that you like without the EQ in, you can use the eq button on the footswitch for a solo boost. This works out well because used this way, the EQ can be used as a boost for any channel. Almost like having 6 channels instead of 3.

When I played around with a IV I did it the other way - set the GEQ up for a slight midscoop and overall volume cut for rhythms, and then you can switch to the lead channel without the EQ for a middier sound for leads.

phyrexia said:
Killtone said:

When I played around with a IV I did it the other way - set the GEQ up for a slight midscoop and overall volume cut for rhythms, and then you can switch to the lead channel without the EQ for a middier sound for leads.

This is what I do as well.

As others have said, I use a kind of scooped V on the GEQ, and have it on for my rhythm. I simply turn it off for leads and it provides a volume/mid boost.

However, I run a MIDI interface thing now, so I have a volume boost and a Tubescreamer for my leads.

I don't have it set that high.. pretty much what ever i feel gives it enough boost to cut over the band..

Dude any Clean A class transistor boost circuit will work. Very easy to make.. you Want a volume knob to adjust how much it's boost..

The REAL trick is how you turn it on/off.. i made a relay system that mean's i have 12" leads from my amp to the pedal and So on and a 30 foot cable that acts just like a plug in foot switch.Everything important stays in the rack.. Works great and the amp sounds amazing..

yo Blame...

I primarily play rock and a little heavier stuff, nothing outrageous on either side of the spectrum. Right now I just either use my KLON, but sometimes go back and forth between a BB Preamp, Keeley TS-808, or a BOSS OD or even that Seymour Duncan pickup booster for just the clean boost. It doesn't provide the volume boost like the Simul jump, but it provides more gain. The TC Elect G-Force can provide a volume boost as well. There are a ton of options. I tend to use my OD/Boosts all the time at home, but when gigging I use the pedals for solos.

Thanks for all the replies. I've not got the amp to the rehearsal room yet but I'll start experimenting then. I've got various overdrives and boosters I can try so yes, I might go with using one of them in the FX loop if I want to do something else with the graphic.

Latest posts

Back