Anyone use record out to board at gigs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryjan

Reaction score
So I'm playing out this weekend at a pretty small bar. The place has a decent PA and monitors so I was considering just running my record out to the board and hitting the silent record on my Mark IV. I'm just worried about having stupid loud stage volume because everyone else in the band plays modelers and runs direct (except the drummer of course). Will I lose my sound and feel by not going through the power section?

ryjan said:
So I'm playing out this weekend at a pretty small bar. The place has a decent PA and monitors so I was considering just running my record out to the board and hitting the silent record on my Mark IV. I'm just worried about having stupid loud stage volume because everyone else in the band plays modelers and runs direct (except the drummer of course). Will I lose my sound and feel by not going through the power section?

To my ears, a mic on a guitar cab always sounds better than running a line out to a mixer/PA. Anytime I've tried to use record out, I lose the feel/interaction between the man/guitar/cab/room.

I run my mark IV combo on class A/tweed in small clubs with the master at around "1" or slightly above. Not optimal for this amp I'm sure but I still get some really awesome sounds out of this amp.

Since I got my mkIv I've ditched EVERYTHING except my Les Paul and guitar cord. I LOVE THIS AMP.

ymmv

cheers

Yeah, I'd love to be able to mic it up. I hate having to bypass the power tubes after hunting down the perfect ones. Maybe I need the new 1x12 widebody cab.

My secret weapon for going direct to the board at gigs is a Palmer PDI 09 direct box.
It takes the speaker output to the PA as a balanced signal and adds cabinet emulation (three types: Bright, Normal and Mellow). You then connect the speaker back to the amp via the box's thru jack.
I use this a lot with my MKIII and Studio .22 (which don't have emulated direct outs), and engineers love the sound as it's easer to control at their end than a conventional mic. Loads of sound guys have commented how it sounds "just like a mic'ed cabinet".
My old DC2 used to have a similar output to the MKIV (with the speaker mute), but I never really liked it.

W.

Latest posts

Back