Anyone use an attenuator on your Boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogiebob

Reaction score
I usually don't like to attenuate a master volume amp. But
This Mark I is loud on 1 and WAY loud on 2. I couldn't imagine turning it to 10 :shock:
The tone really kicks in at about 2, but may be a bit loud in some venues. Anyone have good results using an attenuator on one of these monster loud Boogies?

I've used a THD Hotplate with my MK III. If I want to run it in Simul-class mode it gets loud pretty quick. So I've used the Hotplate to tame it a bit . You can"t attenuate it too much though. About 8db was the max I've used. After that it just doesn't sound very good. Using the Hotplate lets me get the master volume up to the point where the amp is really pumping, but keeps it from killing people.
Another thing you can do is mismatch the load. Plug an 8 ohm speaker into a 4 ohm jack. That tames it a bit. You can also use the low power setting. However, that won't sound the same as having all the power tubes on and the impedence set correctly.

I use a Hotplate to tame the volume on my Recto. I find it sounds pretty good on the 4db and 8db settings, but any more than that it starts to sound kinda compressed (12db and below is good for practicing, but not so good for live).

I've experimented alot between using an attenuator and using the master volume, and I've come to the conclusion that cooking your tubes into a Hotplate sounds better than cold, unattenuated tubes.

Mine is a 60w mkI, so no half power option for me :cry: .
Actually, on my old mark IIB 100w I always had it on the half power
position. I do have the speaker in the 4 ohm jack tho. Takes a little of the edge off. I will try out a Weber Mass later today and see how it sounds.
I also thought of putting a plexiglass box around it in a live situation to keep the sound man happy.

On the 60 watt model you can have a pentode/triode switch installed. It turns off part of each power tube. This will lower your output power quite a bit. That's something to ask Mike Bendinelli about.

Bob, did you try the Weber Mass? Standard model? I'm shopping for an attenuator for my Mk1.

I've got a Hotplate for my Mark IV. I like what it does. Pretty simple.

most marshall guys i know SWEAR by the webber mass, and would use nothing else. im sure that the results would be the same with a boogie. plus they're significatly cheaper! there IS something to be said about volume affecting tone though..even if you have your amp red hot and fully attenuted, theres somethign a little more satifying in FEELING the sound..

With the mass set to the loudest setting is still a bit attenuated. Although you can order one with a bypass if you want. I like the mass because its an actual speaker without a cone. So your amp sees an actual speaker load instead of a simulated load. Also a plus for the mass is multi tap settings. 16/8 ohms or 8/4 ect. I hear the Hotplate is another great attenuator, but never tried one. But for the price of a mass and the options it has, you cant go wrong.

boogiebob said:
With the mass set to the loudest setting is still a bit attenuated. Although you can order one with a bypass if you want. I like the mass because its an actual speaker without a cone. So your amp sees an actual speaker load instead of a simulated load. Also a plus for the mass is multi tap settings. 16/8 ohms or 8/4 ect. I hear the Hotplate is another great attenuator, but never tried one. But for the price of a mass and the options it has, you cant go wrong.

The Mass and the Hotplate have a different sound to them (nothing is transparent). If possible you should try as many attenuators as possible. Just like most people have a personal preference when it comes to OD pedals, the same is true for for attenuators.

From what I've heard, the multi-tap settings are a bit of a sham.....you can mismatch most any attenuator 2:1 in either direction....the multi-tap knobs just change the EQing on the treble boost.

I've a personal preference in the Hotplate, but it is more expensive. On the otherhand, you don't have to pay extra for options like a line out, treble and bass boost, noise reduction, ect.....and it's rated for 180w, where the Mass is only rated for 100w (though I think they have a 150w version out now).

Can you use headphones in the line out on the Weber Mass? 50 ohm phones ok?

I use a HotPlate with my Nomad 100 212. If I didn't, there's no way I could play at home. My tone suffers a little, but it's better than not playing at all.

Some attenuation talk. I've got a rectoverb head 50 watts coming in next week and need to know if any of you guys are using an attenuator with this unit and which ones worked the best. Unfortunately I won't be able to try them all out so i'l be looking to see who experimented with what.

Also, as far as the hotplates go I know that for each ohm rating you need to own a certain one. I've got a 16ohm 2x12 avatar cab wtih wizards right now and will rewire it to 4 ohms for the rectoverb. If I go hotplate will I need to use a 4 ohm hotplate and then send thatto the 4 ohm cab or how does that work?
Thanks

I just tried a 4ohm HotPlate with my Blue Angel in 6V6 mode. I was able to get that classic 6V6 breakup overdrive at a really reasonable volume, and I dont think the tone suffered one bit. I've got another 8ohm HotPlate coming to run the other settings. The EL84 and Simul-Link modes didn't sound good at all to me running at 4ohms.

boogiebob said:
I usually don't like to attenuate a master volume amp. But
This Mark I is loud on 1 and WAY loud on 2. I couldn't imagine turning it to 10 :shock:
The tone really kicks in at about 2, but may be a bit loud in some venues. Anyone have good results using an attenuator on one of these monster loud Boogies?

Bob, ever think about buying a nice Boogie preamp to use in conjunction with your PC ? You can play as loud as you want thru phones, as late as you want too.

I used to use a hotplate with my Mk IV but I got rid of it. Colored things up too much. I'm fine with Triode, Tweed and Class A. The things on it's way to Canada right now.

CudBucket said:
I used to use a hotplate with my Mk IV but I got rid of it. Colored things up too much.

Thanks for the info. I've toyed with the idea of a Hotplate for some time.

Might have been nice to have picked up a few Smicz TADs (6L6 to 6AK6). Alas I was a might too slow before Smicz went belly up.

Nice to have a tube preamp for recording/monitoring. Night or day, nobody hears a thing except me.

Here's a nice trick. If you plug a hotplate into the other speaker out and set it to load, it will not color the sound at all. The amp will see 2 speakers but only the real speaker will work.

UfoPilot said:
Here's a nice trick. If you plug a hotplate into the other speaker out and set it to load, it will not color the sound at all. The amp will see 2 speakers but only the real speaker will work.

Now that should work. Why don't manufacturers tell people about that aspect? Simple "shunt". But that's not going to attenuate much and subsequently make the amp "work hard".

Why not use the attenuator on the 2nd speaker output?

Hey that is a clever trick... I don't see why not. I just ordered a 50 watt minimass for my blue angel, 100 bucks u.s plus a small shipping charge. Sure beats the 250 for a hotplate, and I can use both the 8 and 4 ohm without buying a new attenuator. I just need it for home use, as the powersection is just about perfect for jam levels, so sound colouration isnt that bit a deal. Plus it's got a truebypass and a treble boost.

They also started making one using the same design as the hotplate that they sell for 50 bucks... Plus a 150 watt mass, and a 200 watt stereo mass.

Latest posts

Back