Anyone try the SHUGUANG EL34B STR 6CA7 B

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancullinane

Reaction score
The is supposedly the same tube as the GT-EL34-C. fat bottle EL34. I need a pair for my simulclass 2B. Right now I'm using a pair of "national electric" made in China skinny bottles. They do not sound great and are probably pretty old.

Anyone try these in a Mark? Are they really the same as the GT that BB raves about?

Thanks
Dan

Boogiebabies raves about this tube:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2102

EL34B's are decent enough to be spec'd by some amp manufaturers. I have actually used them in the past in a pinch. They sound pretty good. They aren't an NOS tube but you can't expect new production to sound anything close to that either.

You gotta try some older production tubes. I don't think our top 3 are even close to the same.

After installing TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) EL34B's in one clients' Marshall and having other clients check this amp out with the TAD's in (and properly biased), these other clients have requested the TAD's.

Personally, I think they run neck and neck with the Winged C (SED) El34's, which I never expected. They clearly exceed the JJ brand EL34's in tone and response...again, a shocker.

Of course, make sure ANY output tube is pre-tested and matched before you purchase. Then, rebias the amp, REGARDLESS of what brand/manufacturer you go with.

HipKitty said:
After installing TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) EL34B's in one clients' Marshall and having other clients check this amp out with the TAD's in (and properly biased), these other clients have requested the TAD's.

Personally, I think they run neck and neck with the Winged C (SED) El34's, which I never expected. They clearly exceed the JJ brand EL34's in tone and response...again, a shocker.

Of course, make sure ANY output tube is pre-tested and matched before you purchase. Then, rebias the amp, REGARDLESS of what brand/manufacturer you go with.

I had to dig up this post because I have been going through some tube changes. I had some JJ E34Ls die on me recently and I used the old TAD EL34BSTRs I had from a previous H&K amp and man they sound killer! Great sounding El34s. I think they sound as good as the Winged =C= EL34s and the Tung Sol EL34Bs. Maybe I'll stick with them for now.
I believe the TADs are basically the same as the Ruby's.

Right now I have the TADs in my Egnater Mod 50 biased at 39.

Oddly enough, my VHT has the EH EL34s and that amp sounds killer too.

I'd be curious which are best, Tung Sol, Winged C or TADs/Rubys.

Tad tubes are a mix of tube makes. Their el84 is a russian el84M , military tube from the 80s. Some of the preamp tubes
are slovak, chinese, and I am not sure where their two versions of the 6l6s come from. Yet I totally agree they are one of the best new tube vendors perhaps it is their screening process. I have always been happy with TADs, they test just as they claim. Some people like chocolate cake some like white cake, no matter how much I dislike another I eat what I like.
/cheers.

Latest posts

Back