Anyone runnin' in stereo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reese Bobby

Reaction score
i recently got a nomad 55 2x12 combo for next to nothin due to my friend owning his own drumshop. i have owned a triple rec for about 5 years now and i absolutly love it. anyway, just before i walked into this deal on the nomad i was thinkin about getting a 50 watt marshall and runnin in stereo but hadn't tried it out or looked into how to do it. needless to say i now own a way better 55 watter in addition to my triple and have the capability to run them in stereo and am curious to see if others have done it and how exactly to do it.

also, the nomad is a piece of used gear and i plan on completely re-tubing it...however i was wondering if there is anything else i should check out or replace before i start crankin it hardcore. peece.

What kind of stereo setup do you want? Ping pong? Wet dry? You could always get an ABY switch. There are some rack options for changing amps. Regardless, before you start buying stuff you need to worry about ground loops and you may have to isolate each amp in order to avoid them. I think you'd get better responses if you gave a little more detail on what you mean by 'stereo.' To me, I believe you mean dual mono (2 of the same signal) with two seperate amps.

Hi.

I have a dual mono amplifier setup here at the studio that stays rigged and ready to go. I use it all the time. It's very satisfying to play and sounds beautiful.

Guitar> Maxon OD9> Mesa V1 Bottle Rocket> Ibanez Tube King> Radial JX2 Switchbone> amp1) Fender Pro Junior, & amp2) Modded Laney LC15R

I highly recommend the Radial Switchbone for A/B/Y duties. It is solidly built, has transofrmer isolated outputs, ground lift and phase switching. Also some very handy boost features and a "drag" control that corrects your guitar signal's loading. The drag control is good, it restores life to the tone and lets me bring the signal back up to the level I get when going straight in. The phase switch is the coolest thing to me. The sounds of two amps in or out of phase is quite different and you choose which sounds best to you. The ground lift is self-explanatory and great to have. The boost section has variable gain and several eq options, is foot switchable, and it sounds very good. There may be a better A/B/Y box out there somewhere but I doubt it.

Anyway, that's what I use to do a dual rig. If you are anything like me you will love the full, lush sound of two dissimilar but complimentary amps.

Happy hunting

M

i suppose the dual mono situation is what i'm goin for. i have tones in both amps i wanna use simultaneously. mic em both up and run the same guitar signal to both at the same time. i've heard the guitar players from snapcase runs their setup similar to where they run one guitar signal to two amps for a more full sound. anyway, please give more feedback if possible. peece.

i play stereo with two ace 2x12

the guitar straight into one ace
send loop into a digital effect
left/right return into each return loops of the aces

sounds "grail" to me ;-)

did the same concept also with marshalls for
many years, noise gate included

regards
dean

i use a framptone 3 banger it sounds perfect!!!!you plug 3 amps in and a tuner or use it for 4th amp ..........google robert keely ,or legendary tones to see it,,,,,think i paid 389$for mine WORTH EVERY CENT!!!.....PS. when i went stereo i can never go back to mono!!

In my music room at home I have four amps setup with one of them being full stereo. To mix and blend all the various tones I use the Voodoo Labs Amp Selector. It gives you 4 amp outputs with an additional out for a tuner so the tuner is out of the signal chain. It also has an output volume pot for each of the four channels and only costs $229. See it here:
http://www.voodoolab.com/ampselector.htm

PS. With four amps (one of them stereo) you really have to be mindful of the volume, it can get totally out of control real quick. :D

cool, i been looking into different switchers and that voodoo one seems pretty sweet. at this point i'm leaning towards the radial switchbone as mentioned in a previous post. but i'm still checking stuff out. i'll post on this again to let you guys know what i decide on. thanks again. peece. btw, has anyone checked out the smaller more inexpensive version of the switcher that radial has? i'm looking into that thing too...it seems a bit more to the point, but tone loss is my biggest concern and the switchbone is class a.

I agree, the Voodoo, Framptone and Tonebone are all good. Avoid the dirt cheap passive switchers like the Morley. These suck tone and can allow ground loops that cause hum. I use a D.Loop myself, which allows MIDI control.

You can build a buffered switcher for as little as $5 in parts, depending on what sort of metal boxes and other junk you have sitting around. I gotta admit though that the one I built cost about $300 in time and mental aggravation before I got it working correctly, so there is a lot to be said for just biting the bullet and buying a good one ready made.

If you have any stompboxes or rack units with stereo output, try running one of outputs into the second amp. This can sound great when using chorus and delay effects.

Back