Anyone know any good EMG 81 Mods for METAL?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Anyone know of any wiring tips/mods for EMG 81's, bridge...Anyone know if Hetfield had them wired as per the standard 9 volt schematics or if their wired in any special/custom type way?

Yeah I did the 18 volt mod on my ESP Explorer and loved it...I'm using Duncan Distortions in my SG right now but have EMG's on their way, gonna go with the 18 volt mod for sure, just also curious if there were any other cool mods to consider...I've read of treble or bass boosts and stuff like that, just looking for other options to also consider...

If you read the schematic you'll discover that it'll take up to 27v, but you might have to router a larger cavity to facilitate 3 9v's

I've considered it in the two guitar that have EMG's but just can't see breaking out the router for an experiment

Yeah definitely wouldn't wanna break out the router for an experiment that's for sure.

18V!??!?!?!
27V!?!?!?!
man,i get plenty of chunk and gain just from the 9's let alone boosting it even more!!!
yall fools is crazy!! :(

u might wanna bring some towels wherever u end up playing these so that u can mop up all the brain matter thats gonna spill outta whoevers near!!!!!

I use 18 volt EMGs in both my main guitars and I really like the sound of them. Seems to hit the preamp just a bit harder, and the cleans are a little better. If you can fit two 9v batteries in your control cavity I would recommend trying it.

There are also some 'mods' you can get from EMG that can adjust your sound. the spc control, the afterburner and a couple other things that you can plug in to make things a little different. You might want to check out those add-ons. I know Kerry King and Alexi use some of these things to boost their sound.

-AJH

After owning dozens of guitars with EMGs, my favorite 81 mod by far....is to replace it with an 85 :p

Actually, I think this is a good question. I run emg 81 in the bridge and tune down to C and it's not bad, but am wondering if there is a mod that is good to bring a little more crunch to the world of baritone.

There was also some speculation regarding the 81/85 combo. Someone here on the board was pretty happy with that set up after reversing it. 81 in the neck position and 85 in the bridge. That ought to beef things up a bit.

Though I have an 81/89 set-up in one of my guitars I actually prefer the 85 in the bridge of my Gunslinger. Has a much more lush rich tone and more well rounded, better suited for that guitar being that it only has 1 pick-up.

Geiri said:
There was also some speculation regarding the 81/85 combo. Someone here on the board was pretty happy with that set up after reversing it. 81 in the neck position and 85 in the bridge. That ought to beef things up a bit.

I've had an ESP Explorer that came with two 81's, I didn't like the 81 in the neck at all, wasn't fulll/fat enough for me...never tried the 85 in the bridge...

#2121313 said:
Geiri said:

I've had an ESP Explorer that came with two 81's, I didn't like the 81 in the neck at all, wasn't fulll/fat enough for me...never tried the 85 in the bridge...

I swear by it. I've got an 85 in the bridge of all of my EMG loaded guitars.

I did a switch during my EMG phase and thought the 85 was a little more defined than the 81. The other "Mods" from EMG are pretty good, like the Afterburner.

Latest posts

Back