Anyone here with EL34's in their rectifiers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricTurkey4369

Reaction score
How does it sound?
I just put in some KT77's in my single recto. It sounds pretty nice. Now with the el34's, is it more crunchier when you palm mute? I'm thinking of eventually trying some el34's after all the talk about them.

Wow i literally just did the same thing to my amp. I like the crunch of the kt77s more that the 6L6, i presume it sounds like a el34. I purchased from eurotubes and bob told me that the kt77 is bang in the middle of 6L6 and el34 and that was good enough for me, "the have the upper blend of an el34 with the extended lows of a 6L6". Theyve only been in for a few days and im still getting used to them but they still retain the thunderous recto sound just with a bit more crunch. The best decision i made was paying the extra for high gain preamp tubes i think thats what i like most, maybe ill get some JJ 6L6GC's shipped in and compare them to the KT77.

i run EL34s in my 2 channel dual,very much the sound i was looking for.not a fan of 6l6,in this head at least.i too am looking to put a set of KT77s in.

I find that EL34s help tame the already gratuitous bottom end that's present in my amp while adding some midrange bark.

I used to prefer 6L6s and I used to think that EL34s kind of de-nutted the amp... but after selling my first Recto a few years back and playing Brit amps for awhile I bought another Recto, at which time I found that 6L6s sounded kind of bloated in the bottom and absent in the midrange.

screamingdaisy said:
I find that EL34s help tame the already gratuitous bottom end that's present in my amp while adding some midrange bark.

+1

My FJA Recto had WAY too much low end. As in the bass knob could not be turned past the 9:00 position without serious woofing.

I switched to EL-34's and love them. The key is don't do what I did and try to buy a cheap set (i.e. EH or Sovtek)
to see if you like the tone. Because you won't like what you hear. A good EL-34 will cost some money. I personally use and recommend Winged C's but Tung-Sol's are fantastic EL-34's as well.

Its been a while now since i installed the kt77's and im really enjoying what they do to the single recto. Especially in a band setting it allows me to really cut through live and in rehearsal. I really liked the 6L6's when i was at home playing by myself for that extra thump but in reality the kt77s just sound better! it could be the fact that my old 6l6's were crappy sovteks near the end of their life so im thinking at the end of the year buying a set of 6l6gc JJ's to compare them.

erectifier said:
Its been a while now since i installed the kt77's and im really enjoying what they do to the single recto. Especially in a band setting it allows me to really cut through live and in rehearsal. I really liked the 6L6's when i was at home playing by myself for that extra thump but in reality the kt77s just sound better! it could be the fact that my old 6l6's were crappy sovteks near the end of their life so im thinking at the end of the year buying a set of 6l6gc JJ's to compare them.

Hi..

Can you tell me which model/brand tube you bought and exact model... i have the same amp...

Cheers

Latest posts

Back