Anyone here replaced your Recto tubes (TOV) with GZ34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not enough difference between them and Mesa's 5U4G's, if that's what you have in your Tremoverb? The larger bottles! Now, the 5U4GB's which come in the newer Rec's, the smaller bottles, are a little mushier!

I'm using 5AR4s in my DR -- really like them. Question for you though, is how often do you play using the tube rectifier versus the silicon one?

jbird said:
Not enough difference between them and Mesa's 5U4G's, if that's what you have in your Tremoverb? The larger bottles! Now, the 5U4GB's which come in the newer Rec's, the smaller bottles, are a little mushier!

That's strange to say because the GZ34 (5AR4) is the quickest (ss diodes obviously being fastest) Rec tube to get to full power (rise time) - .2 of a second with nearly as much voltage as opposed to the 5U4 that is .44 of a second and lower voltage.

i really like my gz34s in my recto, i didnt like the mushyness of the stock recto tubes but i liked the more organic sound that they gave, and the gz 34 had a sound that was between the 2 but closer to sounding like the diode. i thought they were worth it.

ThunderMonkey said:
jbird said:

That's strange to say because the GZ34 (5AR4) is the quickest (ss diodes obviously being fastest) Rec tube to get to full power (rise time) - .2 of a second with nearly as much voltage as opposed to the 5U4 that is .44 of a second and lower voltage.

Which 5U4's are you referring to? I do find an "audible" difference between the 5U4GB's and GZ34's! But not so much between the 5U4G's and GZ34's! Strange?

I've had the same experience as jbrird, I have the 5U4G's in my tremoverb and couldn't tell the difference when I put the GZ34's, but in my DR I replaced the 5U4GB's with the GZ34's and instantly noticed it become tighter. In other words if you have the smaller rectifier tubes in your TOV replace them with the GZ34's to see if you like them, if you have the bigger ones, they will sound very close.

Back