Anyone help, opinions welcome!......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercurialuk

Reaction score
Hi guys new to forum... looking for some help, i'll get to the point i'm looking to get a new guitar one of a bit more quality, i thought i would love the RG and S series, cus i read bout necks features etc however when i got down to trying them i really didnt like them the neck felt to big, so i tried the JS model and loved the neck, exactly the sort im after, think its cus the radius is 250mm instead of the massive 400/430 of the rg, s etc,

Anyway what i want to ask is can you get a JS with 24 frets? which are the best models? and also if i loved this guitar particually focusing on necks, which other brands or recommnations would you make?? I tried a Ernie Ball Siletteo and that had a similar feel,

If anyone has any advice on brands or anything please let me know!???

Hope you can help me out,thanks for your time cheers chris,

I'm alittle confused. RG's and S's are known for having very thing necks. What do you mean by them being too big? The JS has a thicker neck than the RG's and S's and they are all the same scale length 25.5. I agree with you though, the JS does have a comfortable neck.

I guess you're only trying Ibanez guitars? Personally, I'm not too fond of my RG1570 Prestige. The trem constantly throws it out of tune. Oh, and the paint chips REAL easy. I've very recently developed a bias toward Schecter guitars. I picked up a used C-1 Elite in mint condition for $325 and absolutely love it. The seller was letting go of it because the only fret with a marking on it is the 12th, which was causing him grief. I wasn't sure about these until playing this one for a while, now it's my preferred guitar. Check them out. Oh, and they're cheaper than (in my opinion, overrated) Ibanez's. One more thing, they use Grover tuners and Floyd Rose trems, so you can't go wrong with the hardware included.

Check out the Precix by Campbell American. I had for ages let the look of it put me off a bit because it didn't apeal to me initially. I then got to know Dean and have tried a few and have to say they are really, really great....easily as good as a Les Paul in my opinion....and way cheaper on the wallet.

i too am extremely confused by a RG or S neck being big, they have a flatter fretboard radius, but other than a big radius i cant picture how theyd be big.

if you like ibanez necks but prefer something with a smaller radius i think Caparison is a good choice, but those are atleast $1500.

and as far as i know all the JS guitars are 22frets.

i'm not a big fan of schecter because they have a tendency to use lower quality wood for the body, though i do love the way some of them play. just something about schecters has a very cookie cutter mass produced feel to me. same opinion of the LTD ESP guitars(same company as Schecter)

Hey guys thanks for your replies, RJ2213 you have nailed it the flatness of the fretboard to me anyway makes it feel bigger somehow, if you play a JEM for example and then the JS model that difference is really noticeable i think, perhaps big was the wrong choice of word, but what you said was how i felt,

For someone with small hands like myself it is noticeable difference stretching was much greater on the JEM for example, i will check out the Caparison guitars,

If anyone has more opinions please keep them comming its appreciated, i'm prepared to pay more so price isnt to much of an issue,

Also i have a C series Schecter already, although its nice, to me it was always just be nice not amazing but cheers for the comments appreciate it!

Keep them comming!

the new ibanez s is going to be made in japan and have a wizard I neck i think or maybe the prestige wizard either way its way thin. even better if you ask me is the ernieball music man jp6. best guitar ever

Have you checked out Carvin? They offer different radius' for each model. Each model I believe also has a different neck profile.

Cheers guys the opinions are helping! I'll get hold of a S series and a Carvin to give them a try, keep them comming!

Cheers

There will be some new great axes from Gary Kramer Guitar in time for Winter NAMM 2008. You might wanna check 'em out. They're no Deltawings, traditional stuff. For 1300$ retail, they're ridicuolusly good. Made in Korea though. From prime woods and parts. Sort of a new concept.

I'm sort of ordering 2, I'll post images when available.

The workmanship is top-notch. They actually do quite a bit of manual work. All of sanding is manual, for example (there's quite a bit of contouring involved, you'll see what I mean). I think those guys do the job for PRS, not sure about the Schecter, gotta ask. Anyway, I'm not scoffing at nicely priced quality instruments from Korea anymore, for what it's worth. And I'm quite familiar with it by accident.

What's next, Chinese exotic guitars :shock: ?

Or, you can order a handmade instrument from the man itself. Some people do http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Scala+Guitars/Classic/10/1

It's already happened. These are premier archtop jazz guitars and when I say premier I mean premier and they cost a few grand.

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/

Back