Anyone go from a Mk III to a IV, or vice versa??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
Just a question for anyone who has gone from one to the other ...would please elaborate why you did so.

I am a very happy MKIII Green/Simul owner ...love it! I have only dabbled briefly with a IV, so no real quality time spent with it. So while I am not looking to "trade" (as I love my III), I am wondering from those who have made the choice to go from one to the other, what was it that pushed you over. ...Key tonal differences are, I suppose, what I am looking to discern. BTW, didn't get any responses frm the "modern "forum, so I am trying here. Thanks!!
:)

Edward

III to IV. Three channels, better footswitch, multiple power options.

IV to III. More gain, more in your face, less compressed.

So I kept both.

My second Mesa Boogie amp was a pristine Mark III short head (red stripe). Financial trouble forced me to sell it, but I still think about that amp a lot. Since then, I have purchased a Mark I and a Mark IV. I prefer the III over the IV. I wanted to buy another III, but could not find one nice enough to replace the one I sold, which was like new. Of the three amps I mention here, I would rate the III first, the I a very close second, and the IV last. That's just me, I prefer the looseness of the I and III over the tighter sound of the IV. In addition, I like the simpler layout of the I and III. Now, I only use the Mark IV when I want to mess with people, they always look bewildered when they see all of those knobs and switches on such a small little box! :?

i went back and forth between III's and IV's until i found the 1st year mark IV i have now.
it has the rawness and gain of the III's, with the strongest low end i've heard on either III or IV, and its not overly bright like both amps can be in loud high gain situations.
it also has the loud, powerfull, not so sterile cleans of a mark III.

i've owned at least 6 mark IV's, and at least one of every stripe mark III (except purple).
i use the same tubes most of the time too.
i've had these TAD 6l6's, and old stock tesla/groove tubes mullard copy mix that i've kept and used in most of them too.
i don't know what it is, but this one mark IVa that started out as a beat to **** combo i only paid 800 for, sounds far better than any other mark IV i've owned in EVERY way.

I had a mk IV and bought a mk III blue stripe full loaded as a second amp. I have to say they are both amazingly good amp's but i ended up trading my mk III for my mk IIc+.i would get a mk III again one day.. they are that good.

Latest posts

Back