Anyone ever run any of their settings at '10'?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a Mark IV it would sound like ****. Mesa's are made to sound their "best" with the treble around 7 and the bass and middle lower than on most amps.

Then again tone is subjective so try it out! Maybe you like it.

Well, on my Mark I reissue, using input 1 (cascading), I set Volume 1 at 10 and Volume 2 at around 2-3. Not really good at describing sounds, but anyway, I like it.

Tom

Hysreria,if you go to "The Boogie Files" at homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/welcome.html click on the Mark IIC+ Criteria you will find another link for sample settings for the IIC+.I know you have a IIB but I think you will find the samples they give useful.

on a volume point of veiw 10 isn't loud enough...if you run 8 cab's at 64 ohms (so it will equal 8ohms all up ) on 10 you will feel it need's to go to 11...it just don't cut enough... so no 10 isn't loud enough...

jokes

I run my Mark IV with the lead drive and/or gain at 10 sometimes. I also use the Eurotubes high-gain front end. Total shred. Of course torturing your preamp section like this adversly affects tube lifespan. Some may say it sounds like ****. It sounds like metal to me.

metalmaster said:
I run my Mark IV with the lead drive [...] at 10 sometimes.
john petrucci does it too with his mkIV (this is what i can see from a picture of his rig)

metalmaster said:
I run my Mark IV with the lead drive and/or gain at 10 sometimes. I also use the Eurotubes high-gain front end. Total shred. Of course torturing your preamp section like this adversly affects tube lifespan. Some may say it sounds like sh!t. It sounds like metal to me.

Really? More gain will affect the lifespan of the preamp tube?

Someone from the Harmony Central forum said otherwise. Something like the amp doesn't care if you use a lot of gain or all clean. "Use is use".

Your amp doesnt care but the tube is affected.When you use more gain you are pushing the tube harder,creates more heat,shortens tube life.Power tubes will show the wear sooner since they dissipate more power/heat,but preamp tubes are affected the same.Push them harder and they wont last as long as if you play "clean" all the time.Changing tubes more often is just something you have to deal with if you want that tone.

I run my treble almost at 10 on my MkIII, but i run the pres at about 3 and my upper treble faders (eq) are at about 25%

More gain does not create more heat. Your preamp tubes are running in class A, which means they are full on all the time whether you're playing or not, soft or loud, gain or no gain. Your power tube lifespan is affected by how hard you run the amp, but preamp tubes aren't.

Okay if you say so.But try this simple test.Let the amp idle for a bout ten minutes.Grab the first preamp tube,dont just touch it but grab it with as much of your palm can grab.Now plug in and play full tilt for a while and try to grab it again.Class A indicates the state the tube is set to idle,things in the tube change when you apply a signal.If the tube grab doesnt convince you get out your voltmeter and get inside and see what you get.Even better connect a scope to your preamp tube output and watch the signal go from a nice clean sine wave to a distorted square wave as you turn up the gain,that aint magic,that is the tube being driven into clipping. True preamp tubes are not subject to as much degredation as power tubes,but if you push them they get hot too.

Some gain and treble knobs on some Boogies could be easily dimed. Mk IV Channel 2 treble and gain, for instance. Mk I volumes and treble. Really for any of the interactive control boogies, if you want the most gain then you dime the gain control and the treble. Don't always have to, though. (Kinda why I think more Boogies should have graphic EQs. I guess that's what effects loops are for.)

Back