Anyone ever build a head enclosure?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwsabianguy

Reaction score
Hi, I have a DC-5 112 combo, and I'm seriously considering building an enclosure so I can use my amp as just the head.

What I'm thinking is to get a sheet of thick birch plywood (apparently Home Depot sells some) and using the measurements from the upper half of my combo to make the head. Also found some here - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=846&cookietest=1

I would then cover the plywood in black tolex (upholstery stores) and make some sort of a grille, transfer the Mesa/Boogie plaque to the new grille, and put it all together.

My other option would be to get a large plank of some nice wood and stain it.

My question is, what would be the strongest way to attach the pieces of wood, without using screws? I was thinking about making notches like I see on exotic-wood Boogie combos, but I have no idea how much work that would be without a CNC machine. And where would I get grille cloth?

You can get dovetail jigs and use a roughter to join and gule the corners. I think this would be a nice touch if you are getting fancy wood. I too have a DC 5 combo and thinking of doing the same. I did find this web site here in Australia. http://www.mccustomcabinets.com I'm thinking of getting a head shell built by Brad as by the time I buy the timber, the jig, the roughter.... ect I'd be ahead in the cash department and it whould look heaps better as he dose custom timber inlay work to order for a little bit more $. I don't think I have the skill to do inlays. Brad also does international shipping if required. Check out his gallery for some ideas at the least.

I screwed and glued mine, but I was doing my first one and wanted something quick and dirty ;) I had considered, and assume would be ok, to drill a number of holes where you'd expect to screw, and then insert and glue dowel rods (as well as gluing sides together), and then cutting down dowel to size once dry. That should then allow edges to be properly routered (which I didn't do with mine). Picture of mine below, not a par on the ones gts produces, but something satisfying about doing your own. If gts was in the UK I would have probably ordered one from him ;)

DC3-2.jpg

Hanslow, that looks **** good. I think you may have just convinced me to build one with screws, but round the edges off so it looks like my combo's edges.

i'm considering doing the same. picking up some decent wood from home depot (doesnt have to be pretty, just solid), and purchasing some tolex. It doesnt seem that difficult at all. Screw it all together and just round off the corners with a sander or something. I dont need it to be perfect, or factory. Just something that looks decent

After seeing your headshell I think I am going to give it a try. I just can't bring myself to spend 400 or so to get a factory one. Thanks for the insperation. Nice job

I wouldn't mind to make my own hardwood headshell. I've been curious of what is under the tolex on my head and 3/4 back cab. Wouldn't mind to make a matching head and cab by stripping tolex, and using the wood underneath and some stain, but I bet the grain is either nonexistent or ugly!

Latest posts

Back