Anybody used an attenuator w/ a Dual Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noonoo

Reaction score
I am considering buying one. My ears are taking a beating right now. What kind of results have you gotten? :?: :?:

Never liked it....never helped IMO...sold it soon after....the only down side of Mesa amps (especially the rectifier series) is that they need to be loud to really sound how they were designed.

I don't mind....I use my Roadster as a gigging /full band practice amp. It is not made to sound good outside those IMO.

Best of luck!

Eric

ok here's an idea. put an eq pedal in the loop with your delay. you know how you turn on the loudness on a stereo so it sounds better and fuller at low volume?... well you can do the same sort of thing with your amp with an eq possibly. loudness merely boosts bass and a little treble to mimic the speaker's movement when the volume is turned up. its worth a try.

thoughts?

MusicManJP6 said:
ok here's an idea. put an eq pedal in the loop with your delay. you know how you turn on the loudness on a stereo so it sounds better and fuller at low volume?... well you can do the same sort of thing with your amp with an eq possibly. loudness merely boosts bass and a little treble to mimic the speaker's movement when the volume is turned up. its worth a try.

thoughts?
That actually seems like a great idea. I think the bottom line on attenuators, though, is that they miss the point.

An amp honestly doesn't sound that much different at a different volume levels. The real difference will be in the way the speaker acts. Want proof? It's the same thing with solid states. The louder they get, the better they'll react with the speakers, and the better they'll sound - up to a point, of course. I think it's the same deal here, and I certainly don't know of a way to emulate the way a speaker reacts to additional power from the amp.

You could try a 1x12, but the problem with that is it'll sound small, and if you want to turn it up ever, the amp will overpower the speaker. Bottom line? There's no substitute for a cranked Mesa Rectifier into a 4x12!

THD Hot Plate
Everyone I have let use it to has bought one.
Tremoverb ~ been using it with it for about 8 years.
Some people love them others do not.
I love mine. What a great tool.....
When I bought my Hot Plate I wondered how much well I use it?
That turned out to be all the time.
Home/practice/stage with all my amp. About a dozen ~ 5-150 watts.
You well need to EQ a bit for different volumes on the amp etc.
All attenuators get hot. Nature of the beast.
It does have a fan and helps keep it cool and is part of the active load.
It does not need to be close to the speaker/mike to work when recording.
With the line out on Hot Plate connected to a other power amp (do not use SS any other way).
This gives you more control of what your finale sound is because you choose the amp.
And you can put line level effects in between the Hot Plate and the other power amp.
I own a 16 ohm (blue) Hot Plate and use it for 16 and 8 ohm speakers and dummy load all the time.
I plan on picking up a 8 ohm for 8/4 ohm loads and running 2 amps at the same time.
You can use it with one off and get good results. 16 = 16 or 8, 8 = 8 or 4. Just need to EQ more. You can use more of a mismatch but it changes the sound a lot. Look at the manual to make sure you hook it up right. I do it all the time.
If you have the Hot plate set to "LOAD" you do not need to have speakers hooked up.
Line out guitar cords/ not speaker.
I meet Ed DeGenaro I believe in 2002 ?, Andy Marshall in 1988.
All the people at THD have always been good to me.
The customer service is as good as it gets.

Ed changes around what he uses all the time.
Last I heard he was using heads with the Hot Plate to load it down into the Axe Fx.

Let's see what Ed said about the Hot plate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlswLGxwIec&feature=channel_page

I like and use all the THD gear I have.
Just in case you have not been here .....

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html

http://www.thdelectronics.com/pdf/HP%20Manual%20060405.pdf

Latest posts

Back