Any word on 80's 4x12 half back cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxr2000

Reaction score
Hello guys been using for a while a small 4x12 half back cabinet with 2 blackshows 90 watts celestion speakers on the open back and 2 EV on the close back, the cab is small but heavy as hell and the sound with my Mesa Mark IV is incredible... what i would like to know what is your experience with this cab if any.. And why is not mesa favorite since this kill all the recto cabs i try before with my Mark IV!!!! :?:

Mesa tried to improve the idea:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplitudes/2004/jan04/RKCabs.htm

A lot of players complain that with both top speakers running open, it's too bright. I wonder what it would sound like if the top two were separated with a divider, and you could seal up one of the upper speakers as well as the two lower ones.

Anyway, it's my favorite, and I don't even have the EV's!

This cab was tossed aside when Mesa introduced their Recto cabs, but has been finally getting it's well deserved due lately. I've only seen rave reviews for these cabs and there's a good demand for these cabs at the moment.

I have one and I agree that it's an excellent cab. When compared to my Marshall 1960A cab, the Marshall sounds like it has a blanket over it.

I would say is a perfect match for the MarkIV sound way lot better with it than with my 68 marshall clone boutique cabinet.. just wish it was less heavy :lol:

The half backs kick serious butt and are still IMO the perfect match for the Mark amps and about anything else you can plug into one. I have always run EV's top and bottom in my 2x12 HB and the other day decided to try something different. The top speaker will deffinantly cut your head off. I put my old Mesa MS-12 in the top (somewhat less bright than the EV) and yessireee I'm lovin' it. You should try the RK cabs as they use the rear baffle board to somewhat tune the open sound rather than just wide open. Maybe somebody has one who can tell what they think!

Back