Any love for the Altec 417-8H?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfarnell

Reaction score
I have a really nice hardwood cab and am trying to decide which speaker to put in it. I already have cabs loaded with EVM-12Ls, JBL D120s, Celestion Blues, and Weber Cali 15s, and am thinking about the Altec 417-8H.

What is the history of this speaker in Boogies? Do any of you out there use this speaker and, if so, how does the sound of it compare to the EVM-12L or the Celestion C90?

There's also an Altec 417-8C. What is the difference between the 417-8H and the 417-8C?

Thanks.

A friend of mine has an original, not reissue, Mark I in beautiful shape ...it has the orig Altec (don't know the model desig, but it is the Mesa orig). It sounded great to my memory, but I admittedly did not have the chance to A/B compare with anything. His "complaint" is that it doesn't sound good until you crank it, but that may just be the amp, as well. Geeze, now that I think about it, I don't think I helped you at all...

Edward

Santana plays a vintage Mark I head over an open-back 1x12 cabinet loaded with an Altec speaker.
The Altec that was one of the factory options was the 417-8H Series II.

sfarnell said:
... There's also an Altec 417-8C. What is the difference between the 417-8H and the 417-8C?

Thanks.

I think the main difference is the 8C is rated at 75 watts RMS and the 8H is rated at 100 watts RMS.

I have an 8C and I like it. It is a great speaker. For mid-low gain rhythm stuff it's great, and it can do an excellent santana type smooth tone. It's in my Mark III combo now, and I use it with a 12L thiele sometimes. It does have this mid response 'thing' for lack of a better term. But I like this "thing". somebody said "toothiness" in a thread somewhere and I agree.

I believe the amp you hear in this clip is a Mark I with the Altec H. I have one of these original speakers in storage. When I get a chance I'll build a 2 x 12 with it and an EV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIP2sfMhKQ

Latest posts

Back