Any body dig the ENGL amplification?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
atonal said:
A buddy of mine had a Savage 120, that thing sounded MEAN. Too bad it got stolen. :(

if i were your buddy id definitely inflict the worst pain short of death i could on him..... man getting an amp like that stolen must devistating

Slaytallica said:
As an owner of a 3 Channel dual rec and an ENGL Powerball and ENGL SE, They are 2 totally different monsters (That being Mesa and ENGL).

The Recto is a solid amp and can get mean as hell especially with a boost but it still has that MESA buzz to it. Some like it some dont.

The Powerball is a cool amp real dark and evil but still stays tight. The clean is as good as the Mesa but the gains are a whole lot better.

The ENGL SE is IMO one of the top 2 High Gain amps on the market. The other being the Diezel VH4.

The SE is just so amazing sounding. The cleans are superb very crystal clear and shimmery. I can compare it with my Two Rock as far as cleans go. Just perfect.

The gain channels are totally insane I can get any tone I want out of this amp. From pushed blues to Classic and hard rock. To 80's metal to the most insane brutal death metal tones. Very very tight very open very organic sounding not compressed at all. Great attack and super clear the mids and highs cut right threw you and the bottom end makes your heart stop. It is just the most versitile head out IMO. Worth every penny. I have the EL34 Version and it totally crushes.

man you are so on the money with that description of the SE.... if i could ever add another amp to go with my roadster itd be the engle se el34 version.... that and a JC-120..... love that amp especially the ones from the 80's.... there is nothing like naturally produced chorus.... all chorus pedals blow in comparison

jdurso said:
atonal said:
A buddy of mine had a Savage 120, that thing sounded MEAN. Too bad it got stolen. :(

if i were your buddy id definitely inflict the worst pain short of death i could on him..... man getting an amp like that stolen must devistating

Yeah, he was pretty devastated and so was I (even though it wasn't my amp). My Mark IV and his Savage 120 complimented each other VERY well.

Do you guys think the SE can do what the savage120 can, because I am very interested in buying a SE preamp, to slave through my mark III and use as a recording amp. The only problem is I need to find a way to switch between 2 different preamps, and off course the money to buy it

pmb said:
Do you guys think the SE can do what the savage120 can, because I am very interested in buying a SE preamp, to slave through my mark III and use as a recording amp. The only problem is I need to find a way to switch between 2 different preamps, and off course the money to buy it

It can do it better.
the Savage is a great amp but the SE is just untouchable. It's in a class by itself. The SE Pre-Amp is amazing. You'll love it. You can hear clips here at from http://www.rocksolidamps.com

Slaytallica said:
pmb said:

It can do it better.
the Savage is a great amp but the SE is just untouchable. It's in a class by itself. The SE Pre-Amp is amazing. You'll love it. You can hear clips here at from http://www.rocksolidamps.com
Thanks dude, do you know if it would sound good slaved through my mark III poweramp.
The clip from the SE preamp at rocksolidamps is great, but the other ones are sometimes not amazing. Nitrobattery here on the forum did make some amazing clips with his engl savage120. I was just asking myself if the SE could do those sounds.

Anyone who knows how it sounds through a markIII poweramp.
I guess ENGL sounds at its best with v30 speakers, so my cabinet fits.

What output of the preamp would I have to use to slave it into my markIII
I would use the fx-return from my markIII, but should I use the fx-send output from the preamp, or one of the stereo outputs.

pmb said:
What output of the preamp would I have to use to slave it into my markIII
I would use the fx-return from my markIII, but should I use the fx-send output from the preamp, or one of the stereo outputs.

I reckon the fx-send output from the preamp.

I recently tested the Engl Screamer 50watt head, into a Mesa 4x12 cab.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t9LySpTPBcI
In the video, it sounds better than it did in person. The amp was extremely bright and that was hard to tame.

I've now changed my mind to getting the Engl Fireball. 8)

Latest posts

Back