Any 2ch users move to a Roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I currently have a 2ch Dual and I'm thinking about making the move to a Roadster.

I'd like it for the options... ie, two more channels, reverb, the ability to use tube tracking on a lead channel and diodes on rhythm, the solo boost function, etc...

Long story short, I know everyone loves to rave about how good the 2 channels sound but I'd be willing to take a small hit on tone if it made gigging life easier.

I did it, and I'm very happy with the transition. The Roadster is still smoother than the 3 channels, like the older two channels, so you end up feeling not too far off. The amp is a little darker in the high gain department. All the other sounds are SPECTACULAR. Rectifier gain, with amazing cleans, and everything in between.

More than worth it IMO.

Eric

If I had the cash to afford the trade up, I would TOTALLY do it too. I'd want a custom job with the black faceplate, chrome chassis, and black knobs but ya, the swap would be an absolute no brainer for me. Then again, I don't play metal like Yetti.

Yetti, keep in mind you went from a Dual (Roadster) to a TRIPLE so you're getting the extra thump and headroom there. SWEET amp, you've got there!!!

Yeah the added headroom gives my seven string much more growl and the added tightness is pretty fucking sick, the high end is juicy like i want it, Just going to add a ADA MQ1 to it when it gets in the mail to boost some more low end, and add in some more crunchys. Cant wait to pair it up with midi, that way i should be able to make the clean channel superb.

When i do the switch to orange to modern the red channel is pretty bangin with the extra presence nob but the cleans are much prettyier on the channel staying clean with gain up at bout 12, and i billybob pickup switch it in to glory, by turning down the volume. Wish i had 2 volume controls on the PRS but it will take some getting used to...i have got to crank teh volume nob down to bout 3, switch pickup, change to clean, then pop to some effects...holy tap dance. when i get my setup going im hoping to be able to switch my amp with the gmajor while it controls the effects, and the new eq at teh same time. gawd if it works it will make things much easier. And i will be the happiest boogie camper ever.
Excuse the thread hijack and me nerding out.

Yeah, I went from a Trem O Verb to a Roadster 2 years ago just to have more options. I would still own it if I was making that music professionally, but switched rigs to fit the job back then and sold the Roadster. I have since gone back to TOVs. I work for different groups now that allow me to use my rig my way and will definitely get a Roadster again with out a doubt. Let me say this though, the Trem-O-Verb is my favorite Mesa of all time. If I could do it in a functional way (with a good tech for the set ups), I'd play live with two TOV heads and control them with a switcher. However, it's a bit of a pain. The most logical solution to that set up is a Roadster to me. One amp and it can do a lot of what a TOV can... not exactly the same but it's for sure an acceptable replacement.

In the studio it's different for me though, I'm all about the TOV. All the sounds in that amp are useful and work very well with my guitars.

My opinion is just get a Roadster. They are fantastic amps and will serve you well. The old school 2 channel recs are great, but if you need options live, it's very hard to beat the Roadster.

Have a 2 ch and love it. Have yet to find an amp that could replace it. The cleans are perfect, leads are smooth and the gain tight and focused.

YellowJacket said:
Behold, a buyer hath appeared! http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=48060

Won't sell a #1 piece of kit to upgrade. I'll buy the Roadster first, that way if I'm unhappy I can easily go back to the Rev F head.

NAD. :eek:

IMG_5054.jpg

screamingdaisy said:
GuitarGuy503 said:
How do you like it? :)

At low to moderate volumes it's better than the 2 channel in almost every way.

I haven't had a chance to run it full throttle yet... that will be the real test.

WOW! With how everybody talks, you'd think the 2 channel heads were better. Since I never work with anything aside from low to moderate volumes this is definitely interesting . . .

YellowJacket said:
WOW! With how everybody talks, you'd think the 2 channel heads were better. Since I never work with anything aside from low to moderate volumes this is definitely interesting . . .

It has way more bottom end, so the tone is beefier and it doesn't need as much volume to fill out. My old one is brighter and a little more aggressive in the mids, but you need to drive it kind of hard before the cab/speakers do their thing and fill the sound out.

Anyway, I finally had a chance to turn it up for a short period of time today. I like the Roadster better. I mean, it has a real clean channel, which is a big plus... but I actually prefer the high gain as well. The darker tone produces a smoothness that I like.

Clean is a straight forward improvement. I mean... I have an amp with no real clean channel going up against an amp with a clean channel referenced from a Lonestar. I have channel one on tweed/50w/tube rectifier and dialled in for a Fender turned a little too loud kind of sound. Just enough gain to give it some character, but not so much that I can't chord without loosing definition. It sits in that just past the verge of breakup region really well. It also takes an overdrive like a champ, which gives me some alternate mid-gain tones. Channel 2 is set up on fat/100w/diode, and the idea is for a pristine yet warm clean kind of sound. It does this very well and the reverb is really nice.

I really love the flexibility of separate clean channels. I have no problem rolling my guitars volume off for cleans, but to be able to call up two alternative cleans like that is a pretty big bonus for me as I'm not always about the high gain.

Channel 3 is vintage/100w/tube rectified. I think I've been pretty vocal in that I don't feel that Rectifiers have a good lead tone... however I'm really impressed with this. My old Recto produced that thin, kind of wimpy lead tone that was workable but never really got my rocks off. Boosting it just made matters worse because it thinned it out even more. With it's extended bottom end this new Recto sounds thicker right out of the gate, and boosting it for more mids/sustain doesn't totally gut the bottom end out of it. Overall I'm extremely happy.

Channel 4 is modern/100w/diode. This is the one mode/channel I was really concerned about going in. I like how aggressive the old Recto is and I was worried about the Roadster's extra bottom end muddying things up as it has A LOT more bottom end than my old Recto... to the point where it almost feels like I'm being doubled by a bass guitar. I can reduce the bass right to zero and while it drops the bottom end, it doesn't remove the extended bottom end effect. Either way, after playing with this amp for a bit I'm not too concerned with it... while the bottom end sounds a bit loose and boomy at lower volumes it stiffens up as you increase the volume. I'd argue that this amp is actually tighter than my old Recto, even with all the extra bottom end it produces.

Oddly enough, channel 4/modern doesn't boost nearly as well as it did on my old Recto. Boosting my old Recto took it from sludgy to modern metal. Boosting this one doesn't work nearly as well... or maybe I just haven't spent enough time with it yet to work the settings out. Whatever it is the OD is putting an ugly layer and isn't blending as well as I'm used to (tried an OD808 and Fulldrive 2). They've been useful for tightening up the bottom end when playing at lower volumes, but at higher volumes they add a very boxy midrange to the overall sound that I don't like.

Overall, for my tastes I'd say it's an improvement in every channel. Factor in an improved effects loop, the ability to have tube/diode rectifiers per channel, a solo boost and reverb... and it equals a massive upgrade in gig-ability.

The only knock against the amp is that at low volumes there is a hollow phasing effect when the effects loop is in use. This phasing effect is most prominent in channel 4/modern and goes away as the volume goes up.

For reference, I've been running fairly generic Recto settings lately. The low mids on channel 3 is kind of muddy on it's own, but it works well with a mid heavy OD pushing it.

Code:
Channel 1 - Channel 2 - Channel 3 - Channel 4
G - 12:30 - G - 12:00 - G - 01:00 - G - 01:00
T - 12:00 - T - 01:15 - T - 12:00 - T - 01:00
M - 09:00 - M - 09:00 - M - 08:00 - M - 11:00
B - 11:00 - B - 11:00 - B - 12:30 - B - 10:00
P - 08:00 - P - 10:30 - P - 11:00 - P - 01:00
M - 10:00 - M - 10:30 - M - 11:30 - M - 09:30
 50w/tube - 100w/tube - 100w/tube - 100w/diode

"Tweed" mode is my favorite mode in the clean section. In my experience "Clean" mode itself sounds like drizzling $hits though (dull and bland to my ears> perhaps I'll try it again and dig it with some tweaking). I've really been trying to like "Brit" mode but feel its lacking a bit in the gain department. Overall I'm very happy with the amp though.

Not sure why you keep your mid's so low, you should have them around 1 with the treble, mids will really fill out your sound as well.

screamingdaisy said:
YellowJacket said:

It has way more bottom end, so the tone is beefier and it doesn't need as much volume to fill out. My old one is brighter and a little more aggressive in the mids, but you need to drive it kind of hard before the cab/speakers do their thing and fill the sound out.

Anyway, I finally had a chance to turn it up for a short period of time today. I like the Roadster better. I mean, it has a real clean channel, which is a big plus... but I actually prefer the high gain as well. The darker tone produces a smoothness that I like.

Clean is a straight forward improvement. I mean... I have an amp with no real clean channel going up against an amp with a clean channel referenced from a Lonestar. I have channel one on tweed/50w/tube rectifier and dialled in for a Fender turned a little too loud kind of sound. Just enough gain to give it some character, but not so much that I can't chord without loosing definition. It sits in that just past the verge of breakup region really well. It also takes an overdrive like a champ, which gives me some alternate mid-gain tones. Channel 2 is set up on fat/100w/diode, and the idea is for a pristine yet warm clean kind of sound. It does this very well and the reverb is really nice.

I really love the flexibility of separate clean channels. I have no problem rolling my guitars volume off for cleans, but to be able to call up two alternative cleans like that is a pretty big bonus for me as I'm not always about the high gain.

Channel 3 is vintage/100w/tube rectified. I think I've been pretty vocal in that I don't feel that Rectifiers have a good lead tone... however I'm really impressed with this. My old Recto produced that thin, kind of wimpy lead tone that was workable but never really got my rocks off. Boosting it just made matters worse because it thinned it out even more. With it's extended bottom end this new Recto sounds thicker right out of the gate, and boosting it for more mids/sustain doesn't totally gut the bottom end out of it. Overall I'm extremely happy.

Channel 4 is modern/100w/diode. This is the one mode/channel I was really concerned about going in. I like how aggressive the old Recto is and I was worried about the Roadster's extra bottom end muddying things up as it has A LOT more bottom end than my old Recto... to the point where it almost feels like I'm being doubled by a bass guitar. I can reduce the bass right to zero and while it drops the bottom end, it doesn't remove the extended bottom end effect. Either way, after playing with this amp for a bit I'm not too concerned with it... while the bottom end sounds a bit loose and boomy at lower volumes it stiffens up as you increase the volume. I'd argue that this amp is actually tighter than my old Recto, even with all the extra bottom end it produces.

Oddly enough, channel 4/modern doesn't boost nearly as well as it did on my old Recto. Boosting my old Recto took it from sludgy to modern metal. Boosting this one doesn't work nearly as well... or maybe I just haven't spent enough time with it yet to work the settings out. Whatever it is the OD is putting an ugly layer and isn't blending as well as I'm used to (tried an OD808 and Fulldrive 2). They've been useful for tightening up the bottom end when playing at lower volumes, but at higher volumes they add a very boxy midrange to the overall sound that I don't like.

Overall, for my tastes I'd say it's an improvement in every channel. Factor in an improved effects loop, the ability to have tube/diode rectifiers per channel, a solo boost and reverb... and it equals a massive upgrade in gig-ability.

The only knock against the amp is that at low volumes there is a hollow phasing effect when the effects loop is in use. This phasing effect is most prominent in channel 4/modern and goes away as the volume goes up.

For reference, I've been running fairly generic Recto settings lately. The low mids on channel 3 is kind of muddy on it's own, but it works well with a mid heavy OD pushing it.

Code:
Channel 1 - Channel 2 - Channel 3 - Channel 4
G - 12:30 - G - 12:00 - G - 01:00 - G - 01:00
T - 12:00 - T - 01:15 - T - 12:00 - T - 01:00
M - 09:00 - M - 09:00 - M - 08:00 - M - 11:00
B - 11:00 - B - 11:00 - B - 12:30 - B - 10:00
P - 08:00 - P - 10:30 - P - 11:00 - P - 01:00
M - 10:00 - M - 10:30 - M - 11:30 - M - 09:30
 50w/tube - 100w/tube - 100w/tube - 100w/diode

Latest posts

Back