Answer to Why Rectifier has different tone w/Loop On

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to avoid using fx loop,cant you just slave out of the amp into fx unit or pedals and another speaker? would you also need a seperate pwr amp?this way you would have one dry cab and one wet cab.would this work?

fbomb said:
to avoid using fx loop,cant you just slave out of the amp into fx unit or pedals and another speaker? would you also need a seperate pwr amp?this way you would have one dry cab and one wet cab.would this work?

sure you can use the slave out to your effects, but yes, you also has to have a separate pwr amp. you cant take your line out direct to the speaker, you can damage the amp AND the speaker. :(

thanx for the responce. so the signal chain would be STILETTO slave out to pwr amp in , out of pwr amp,into fx input, out of fx ,into speaker. correct? would a 1 x 12 speaker be good enough?

No! You want to run the slave out to the FX in, FX out to the power amp in, power amp out to the speaker.

DO NOT run a signal out of the power amp into the FX unit unless you want to destroy some gear.

FX loops are always a hassle, but once you get everything dialed (so many different levels in so many different places), then they are quite useful!

Good luck.

Boogiebabies said:
The reason is simply more circuitry in the signal path and the lowered value of the cathode caps on the loop. Generally, I am sure we can all agree that they notice th bottom end dissapear when the loop is engaged.
The use of 2.2uf or lower value cathode caps is the culprit. The RK I and Dual Rectifier use a 2.2uf and I hated the loop for killing my bottom end. The RK II has been revised and uses a 10uf cap to add the bottom back. The higher value cap, the more lower frequencies you will hear. The same theory is a common issue with parallel loops as well.

Older Boogie return designs basically saw a 120pf cap for some edge and 15uf cathode cap. To me it seemed like a pretty decent serial loop with minimal coloration.

Can you tell us where to find this 2.2uf cathode cap on a RK I? I'm interested in changing it to a 10uf cap.

Thanks!

With the output master at 12 noon the tone and volume is 99.9% the same as with the loop bypassed.

Latest posts

Back