Another Roadster/Roadking question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhrocker

Reaction score
If I match settings on a Roadking identical to a Roadster, channel by channel, knob by knob, should they both sound the same? I want to get a roadking, and I had a Roadster, but didn't like the second channel brit (not enough gain), am I wasting my money with the roadking?

You must really love your gain then. I take it you've tried cranking the gain and treble in Brit mode? That being said, the Road King II and Roadster pretty much sounded identical. Well, I couldn't tell the difference really, until you try and lift one or the other... :lol:

I went with the Road King II. I know some people don't like having all the "options" and it is "too complex" for some, but it actually isn't complex at ALL. After having the RKII I'm completely spoiled...being able to use a different power section on each channel is just awesome for me. If you are a guy who likes just 6L6 or just EL34 then I suppose go with the Roadster, IMO sound better than a dual/triple rec...but I absolutely LOVE having 6L6's for my rhythm and EL34s for my leads. Channel one is set to "clean" mode with 4 6L6's and channel 2 is set to "fat" with two 6L6 and two EL34s...and it's freakin great, lol.

IMHO, righting off an amp because you don't like ONE mode in ONE channel doesn't make much sense if you like what the other options give you. Now, if you hate the entire amp then obviously maybe its just not for you. However, with 4 channels, 3 modes per channel, there is bound to be plenty of tastey tones to choose from if the rectifier is your thing.

And just an FYI, I never use brit mode live (I really have no interest in being "Marshally"), but have gotten some nice sounds out if it when I'm just fartin around at home :D

I couldn't tell you about the amps sounding the same at similar settings though because I've never tried it.

KH Guitar Freak said:
You must really love your gain then. I take it you've tried cranking the gain and treble in Brit mode? That being said, the Road King II and Roadster pretty much sounded identical. Well, I couldn't tell the difference really, until you try and lift one or the other... :lol:

Lol, the weight is the only downside of the RK for me. After lugging this thing around for the last few months I feel like I could probably enter into an iron man competition and do alright :lol:

i´m playing a roadster since two years now and i´ve tried the road king II - the only difference in sound was the powertube option.
i changed my tubes to EL34 in the roadster and i´m very happy with it.
although i was never really satisfied with the brit mode as well. gain wasn´t the problem, but to me this mode was lacking on low end and sounded to harsh to me.
so i switched over and turned up the gain knob on the tweed mode.....yes, this was the dirty ac/dc-like sound i was looking for.
now my clean channel is the yellow channel set to fat-mode and my dirty crunch sound is channel one set to tweed with gain turned up full.
it is a bit less gain than the brit-gain but to me it sounds way more organic.

joe web said:
i´m playing a roadster since two years now and i´ve tried the road king II - the only difference in sound was the powertube option.
i changed my tubes to EL34 in the roadster and i´m very happy with it.
although i was never really satisfied with the brit mode as well. gain wasn´t the problem, but to me this mode was lacking on low end and sounded to harsh to me.
so i switched over and turned up the gain knob on the tweed mode.....yes, this was the dirty ac/dc-like sound i was looking for.
now my clean channel is the yellow channel set to fat-mode and my dirty crunch sound is channel one set to tweed with gain turned up full.
it is a bit less gain than the brit-gain but to me it sounds way more organic.

How do you dial in the settings in Brit mode anyway???

i guess it was something like:
bass full, mid 2 o´clock, treble 1 o´clock, gain nearly all the way and presence about 9 or 10 o´clock.

joe web said:
i guess it was something like:
bass full, mid 2 o´clock, treble 1 o´clock, gain nearly all the way and presence about 9 or 10 o´clock.

Go easier on the bass, and turn up the treble some more IMO. Oh, and turning up the treble is fairly crucial in this mode. If you want less gain as turning up the treble dumps more gain, turn down the gain knob, not the treble knob...

thanks for the advice, but i love the sound i dialed in right now. it´s more "in your face" and has more warmth.

Back