another roadster question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdesoto

Reaction score
maybe this was addressed in another thread, but how would i determine if the roadster i'm thinking about getting has had the mod that people have been talkin about. all this talk about these amps going up in smoke is making me nervous, especially since i'm about to go into the studio... thanks

The only way to tell for sure is to take the amp apart. Ask whoever you bought it from if it was done. Whats the serial #? There are some very serious voltages in there that can fry your heart. If you dont know what you are doing... STAY OUT> I did my own so if i had a pic I can tell. My Roadster went up in smoke not because the mod wasnt done but a much bigger more serious problem.

I also was nervous, but one thing I do know about the net............

It's where most come to complain or post negative reviews, the positive
reviewers are to busy playing LOL!

My roadster head is fine after 3 weeks of constant use, if your worried get something else to record with as a backup maybe........

I've had my Roadster for just over two months and it's fine, no problems apart from the popping when changing channels.

Ciao ...

thanks for the help. i think i'm just going to get it and see what happens. i've never been a timid buyer before so why start now? hehe. lets hope i dont regret it later. whats this popping when changing channels tho? are these few issues because its a new model and they need to work out glitches or something?

I've had my roadster for 3.5 months now. I haven't had a problem with anything. My channels don't pop. The only time I get pops is when I change it from vintage to modern on the 4th channel.

Go on Mesas website and click on the Roadster alert and they post the serial number range of units to be serviced.If its a shop your getting it from be sure they took care of it.About the popping mine NEVER pops IF I start in channel 3 in standby and cycle through the channels a couple of times.It will pop when I switch from channel 3 to 4 if I DON'T do this.Its static build up from your higher gain channels. The Roadster is a great amp that requires some tweakin.I'm lovin how versatile it is I know its not as optional as the King but before I bought the amp I made sure I knew exactly what I needed and for me the Roadster is right on.I'm glad Mesa creating the Road King with less features that I would'nt use.For El-34s Im goin two amps this time.

so i picked up a roadster 2x12 combo for 1900 (because there was a scratch on the tolex). the guy told me that he's pretty sure that it had the update done when mesa emailed the dealers about it... he couldn't guarantee it tho which makes me kinda nervous. anybody know exactly what it would look like after its done? i can take a pic and post it or something... i'd really like proof positive that it was updated. anyway, i got it home and it sounds amazing, heavy as a ***** tho. i got some great sounds already and can't wait to experiment more. i did hear some popping when i switched channels, but like somebody said earlier it seemed like it only did it once or twice when switchin to/from the high gain channels from static buildup or whatever it is. i'm going to read the manual from start to finish, but i'm sort of unsure how to get the solo boost working. it said to turn the FX loop on and to flip the switch in the back so its not bypassed and when i do that i get the solo boost but nothing when the solo isnt engaged... maybe i'm just being dumb and new to high end amps...

I'd give Mesa a call ASAP and let them know about the unsureness of the repair.They should be informed and should be able to get in the right direction.Definately read and absorb the manual it'll answer a lot of the questions about the functions of the amp. Congratulations on your new Roadster!

the guy at the shop said he's "pretty sure" and if i have any problems, he'll get me a new one. but if its something thats going to cause damage down the road, i'd rather not fuss w/ them sayin "well the guy told me blah blah" i'm gonna call the shop tomorrow and tell him i need the repair guy to be sure he did it. i just had to bring the thing home, i was too excited. hehe

Easiest way to check is just cross reference the serial number with the bulletin..........

IMPORTANT SERVICE ADVISORY
August 23, 2006

For Roadster Amplifiers
Serial Numbers VR-00001 through VR-00669

Easiest way to check is just cross reference the serial number with the bulletin..........

IMPORTANT SERVICE ADVISORY
August 23, 2006

For Roadster Amplifiers
Serial Numbers VR-00001 through VR-00669

...What was the issue?...And is there any way to tell if mine got the service?...Where can I get info on this now?

Back