Another Mark IV question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Reaction score
Now that I've had m Rectoverb for a bit (and I'm really liking it)
I'm a newly confirmed Mesa fanboy.
I've been playing on and off since 1975 and I've been thru tons of gear but until I got my Rectoverb I just never really gave Mesa a second look.
so now that my eyes have been opened my question is this.
I currently have my Rectoverb and a JSX head.
I'm thinking of replacing the JSX with a Mark IV head, but I've never had the opportunity to sit and play with one.
I know Petrucci and LOG (not my bag) uses them, so I know that type of tone is there, but can you get a "Marshall-ish" type of tone out of one as well.
I like my JSX for stuff like Satch/Van Halen etc, basically Marshall type tones. Does a mark IV go into this territory?
I know the Stilleto does , but I like the other tones that the Mark iv puts out so I wouldn't want to lose those by going with a Stilletto.

Or do you think I'd be better off just keeping my JSX around for that type of stuff and moving the Rectoverb and getting a Roadster, so I get a little
more versatility on that end?
I like the recto tone so I don't want to completely lose that (can a Mark IV get close to a recto tone?)

I've played a lot of amps and have owned a JCM2000, Dual Rec, RectoPre, and the Mark IV. The Mark IV is hands down, my favorite. It's extremely versatile. It does take a while to find settings, but that's really it's only drawback IMHO.

You have the option to have both EL34 tubes and 6L6 tubes in the MKIV so I'd say it can definitely do a Marshallish sound with some EL34 tubes.

I wantedmore of a Marshall type EL34 sound with versatility... so I traded in my MKIV for the Stiletto. Try them out first. I read all the reviews about the MKIV here and bought one just hearing it once in a store and after 2 years of trying to coax THE sound I have in my head out of it I moved on and got it the first time with the Stiletto. Sound is subjective... you need to try them live.

Hitting R2 on a Mark IV with a BB preamp is plenty "marshally" enough for my tastes, although probably not a Marshall purist.

im on the other side of the deal. i have a mark iv and im looking to get a recto. so when the deal works out do me a favor and let me know how they compliment eachother

Latest posts

Back